How to help first-time posters

google will take over the world. look! they are taking over out personal web sites, and now we moot allowing them even more ad space on mrexcel.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Thanks JVH for the "extra" signature info.
After following this thread, this is one of the great ideas put forward....and implemented.
I've adapted my signature to suit.
I'm only a small player on the forum, but I noted Greg Truby mentioned that the "other language" forum gets very little traffic. A couple of times I've wanted to to suggest the OP tries that area of the forum, but some users get a little tetchy when you suggest they can't speak english, even when you have tried your best etiquette.
Maybe the other reason the "other language" area gets little use, is because of just that, it gets little use, therefore I won't get a quick response, when, in fact, it will probably get a quicker response due to lower traffic. This may be a good area to target !!
The passion raised during this thread is why we are all here, we all want to be, and we all want to play a part. I empathise with Domski....my first post would have been
"How do I add a whole column of numbers up, without resorting to the calculator"

Finally, thanks to all those "passionate" people, I am now the office guru, that practices the dark art of Excel.

Last edited:
Hi Michael

Nice to see that you are using the signature, and nice to see that there are so many already using it. I really hope it does make a noticable difference.

The 'Other Languages' forum is a tricky one. Like you I might not refer someone there for fear of offending. I suppose perhaps 1 or 2 people also see using the main forum as an opportunity to practise their English, and also want the wider audience in order to attract more suggestions. I hardly ever browse the other languages forum. I don't even go there to moderate because we have moderators that specificaly target that forum.

I'm just not sure how one might go about promoting it more. For starters I think it's perfectly located, since it is the forum directly beneath the main questions forum.

Is it possible Mr Excel can make a video on Youtube about the proper way to post a question and have the link email to the person when he registers?
I would also think that if you add a section in your "message" box with a selection of programs they are using, such as Excel 2003, Excel 2007, or computer, Etc. so the poster can choose from, just like you have a section for the smilies:biggrin:, this way your moderators can see it right away. Plus have a video on how to use the functions here, in the message box, because I am also guilty of not knowing how to use them myself. Just I though. P.S. I love this site.

From a forum member perspective, I think the suggestion of a welcome tour/how to video from Bill has a lot of merit. It would be another feature which puts MrExcel above the rest (how many other boards have a video like that? none?) and it could be integrated into the registration process.

In addition to giving people a tour of the board and guidance, perhaps Bill could also point out the other resources available such as his podcasts, his consultancy, his books and any other sites he might own.

However, Bill is a very busy man and no doubt there would be a cost associated with producing and streaming a video. The board owner perspective might be quite different!

Just to clarify, my suggestion supporting usc1000's idea about a video but for it to be hosted here rather than on YouTube.

I support usc1000's idea as well. It has great potential. Playing the role of the devil's advocate here, quite a few of our posters post from their workplace, and a lot of workplaces I've been in greatly frown on watching any kind of video on the computer as it is often seen as a "leisure activity". That might cause some posters to shy away from watching the video (so don't make it a mandatory watch). However, for those that actually take the time, it could be very beneficial.

... Playing the role of the devil's advocate here, quite a few of our posters post from their workplace, and a lot of workplaces I've been in greatly frown on watching any kind of video on the computer as it is often seen as a "leisure activity". That might cause some posters to shy away from watching the video (so don't make it a mandatory watch).
That's a good point. I guess it's possible that people might also not have the software to watch a video. That said, it's a "one off" when they register, so I'd be inclined to make it as "mandatory as possible". :biggrin:

Another potential drawback might be if the vBulletin software is upgraded. If things move around a bit (say, for example, the places where you would click to start a new thread) then the video might have to be done again.

New members already get an email with a link to posting instructions. Also, there is a link at the bottom of the main page to a video.

Maybe some of us need to sign up from scratch again and go though it properly this time ;)

Dom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omer Lutfu Neziroglu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back