How to highlight duplicate values but each value has two possible variations

cthorne1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I have a list of team member names and usernames
1713728574808.png

Then on a different page, I have the different roles the team members can do and that is how we staff them. I want to have duplicate values highlighted weather it's the team members name or their username to prevent someone from being staffed twice. So in the picture bellow I want jdoe2 (B2) and John Doe (B4) to be highlighted because it's the same person being assigned two different functions.
1713728746408.png

Any idea how to make that happen?

Attachments

• 1713728551179.png
    1713728551179.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 2

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I don't believe it's doable via conditional formatting. However, it is possible via
(1) VBA
(2) Another option is to have another column to indicate duplication. See below.
Let us know which option you want to pursue.
Book3
ABCDEF
1UserNameRoleTeam
2jdoe2John DoeCleanerjdoe2Duplicate
3jsmith9Jane SmithPickerJane Smith
4ltimmy1Little TimmyPackerJohn DoeDuplicate
5Runnerltimmy1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F5F2=LET( name,BYROW(E2:E5,LAMBDA(name,IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" ",name))),VLOOKUP(name,A2:B4,2),name))), IF(BYROW(name,LAMBDA(br,ROWS(FILTER(name,name=br))))>1,"Duplicate","") )
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
I don't believe it's doable via conditional formatting. However, it is possible via
(1) VBA
(2) Another option is to have another column to indicate duplication. See below.
Book3
ABCDEF
1UserNameRoleTeam
5Runnerltimmy1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F5F2=LET( name,BYROW(E2:E5,LAMBDA(name,IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" ",name))),VLOOKUP(name,A2:B4,2),name))), IF(BYROW(name,LAMBDA(br,ROWS(FILTER(name,name=br))))>1,"Duplicate","") )
Dynamic array formulas.
I think option 2 sounds more in applicable for what I have currently. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
(1) VBA
Book3
ABCDEF
1UserNameRoleTeam
5Runnerltimmy1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
Dynamic array formulas.
I have realized that option 2 will not work because I have multiple columns of roles for people to do, so it looks a bit more like this:

1713799812555.png

Could you walk me through the VBA option instead?

Upvote 0
When you stack them sideways like that it's more challenging because not everything is in the same column. What is the actual sheet laid out? How are the group locate relative to the others?

Upvote 0
When you stack them sideways like that it's more challenging because not everything is in the same column. What is the actual sheet laid out? How are the group locate relative to the others?
So... This is actually how things are actually laid out, each of these is on a different page. Each of the blank cells can have names in them.
1713887820437.png

1713887852050.png
1713887898378.png

Upvote 0
Can you manually fill out one level? This is entirely different from what you posted before. Now you have a numeric column in between?
Please don't simplify the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back