How to make a Data Validation Dependent Drop Down List From the precedent Row?

Lacan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Guys,

Have this massive extent List that would like to make a Data Validation Dependent Drop Down List from the precedent row.

Will give you a sample data with 4 examples to be very clear that what is the goal in order to choose from Data Validation Dependent Drop Down List from the precedent row.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

Book1
BCDEFGHIJK
2BrickCenterCityNameBrickCenterCityName
3299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraAnnaExample 1299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraAnna
4299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraAnna SimonExample 2300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR MEDICOSamoucoAnna
5299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraAladinExample 3301 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR JONHAmadoraLuzia
6299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraSergeExample 4302 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica MEDICA SALisboaPedro
7299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraFernando
8299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraBlyde
9299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraDynom
10300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO AVENIDAAmadoraVenom
11300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)CENTRO CLINICO FRANKAmadoraYalan
12300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR MEDICOSamoucoAnna
13300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR MEDICOSamoucoCosta
14300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR MEDICOSamoucoMaria
15300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR MEDICOSamoucoCesar
16300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR MEDICOSamoucoCarlos
17301 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)HospitalAmadoraMaria
18301 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR JONHAmadoraJesus
19301 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR JONHAmadoraMaria
20301 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica LAR JONHAmadoraLuzia
21301 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica MEDICA SALisboaGuilherme
22302 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica MEDICA SALisboaRogerio
23302 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Clínica MEDICA SALisboaPedro
24302 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Dr Peter SaSamoucoAlbino
25302 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul)Consultorio Dr KingLisboaFernando
Folha6

1581376174648.png

Dear Toadstool,

Here you can check the workbook: Fernando Ramos sent you 1 item

As you can see from every 31 references in "F" (299 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Sul; 300 Lx - Amadora (MÁgua - Norte);...) column ordered in an ascendent way want the corresponding match in L:O column: Centro, Localidade, Especialidade and Nome.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Lacan,

This format is not the format for which I constructed the formulae. The data entry is quite different and now you have 5 entry fields (Brick, Centro, Localidade, Especialidade, Nome) and not the 4 originally.

I was building formulae for columns L to O when there were sets of 5 rows for the four columns of data selection, that's why I was dividing by 5 to try and figure out the last active cell so it would calculate which set of 5 was having data entered.
=CHOOSE(MIN(INT(ROW(INDIRECT($L$2))+4)/5,3),CELL($M$1,B3),CELL(M1,B8),CELL($M$1,B13))

Now I see another format in columns E to J with inconsistent rows between data groups so that method won't work. The CHOOSE statement is returning a #VALUE error because it only allows for a selection of 1 as you've removed the other options.
=CHOOSE(MIN(INT(ROW(INDIRECT($Z$2))+4)/5,3),CELL($AA$1,F18))

I would suggest that you finalize your format for the data entry and ensure there is consistency if you need multiple groups of data entry.

Upvote 0
Dear Toadstool,

Here is my last format: Fernando Ramos sent you 1 item

Data in Column "F" doesn´t need data validation list.

More information please let me know.

Hope we can finally finish this bold project in excel .

Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
Dear Toadstool,

Need more information?

Thanks pal.

Upvote 0
Lacan,

The sheet needed repair after which I changed the sheet to xlsx from macro enabled, removed names with invalid references, removed unused external references, standardised Brick to be five columns wide starting in column E and removed the CHOOSE function.

The rows between Brick are not standard so I'm changing to a range search to find the Brick dependant on the last active CELL. This means, for example, when completing an entry it will base Centro on the Brick in E18 if the last active cell was between row 18 and 27.

The CENTRO LOCALIDADE ESPECIALIDADE and NOME must be completed in the same row from left to right so that the next column to be completed knows which previous value to use for generation of the distinct options for data validation.

This will take another few hours to complete and test so with other work I've underway it may take a couple of days to get back to you.

Upvote 0
Excellent Toadstool.

I´m very curious to see your expertise putting everything working together.

As this Excel Topic never been assured in this specific form hope this thread contribute even more for a better excel understanding and an exponential growth of our forum community.

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
Lacan,

I don't think others should copy this style as it's slow and kludgy. To satisfy your requirement with any speed and elegance would really need VBA.

Here it is, but as I previously said you need to do a Brick at a time and always select from the dropdowns left to right on the same row.

Lacan15.xlsx

...and don't forget the first thing you should do is go to AA1 and change Address to ENDEREÇO

Upvote 0
Excellent Toadstool.

Very excited to try it and to give positive feedback as always.

Thank you thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back