How to make this formula show "PENDING"?

Marq

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Below is a formula I have in a cell that calculates based on choices made from two drop down menus....the drop downs have the word "PENDING" when nothing as been chosen yet.

How do I made the cell that the formula is in show "PENDING" when either D3 or D4 (or both) are in PENDING status?

Right now the cell shows "FALSE" when D3 and D4 are in pending status....and it shows FALSE if either D3 or D4 are in pending status.

=IF($D$3="st",IF($D$4="Yes",$M$5,IF($D$4="No",$M$3,IF($D$4="PENDING",""))),IF(D3="ot",IF($D$4="Yes",$M$6,IF($D$4="No",$M$4,IF($D$4="PENDING","")))))

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Check that first in the order of your nested IF statements, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(D3="PENDING",D4="PENDING"),"PENDING",...
the ... represents the rest of your formula (the other nested IF parts)

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
like this??..Im about to try it but I wanted to show u what im trying

=IF(OR(D3="PENDING",D4="PENDING"),"PENDING",($D$3="st",IF($D$4="Yes",$M$5,IF($D$4="No",$M$3,IF($D$4="PENDING",""))),IF(D3="ot",IF($D$4="Yes",$M$6,IF($D$4="No",$M$4,IF($D$4="PENDING","")))))

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
The revised formula using your example did not work

Upvote 0
The revised formula using your example did not work
No, it looks pretty messed up (as it did from the start). You still appear to be checking for PENDING later in the formula, which is not necessary, since we are checking for it in the first IF.

I do not like to try to "guess" the logic you want to apply from a formula that contains errors. That involves too many assumptions on are part, which may not be correct.

Can you please lay out (in plain English), all your different conditions/scenarios, and what should happen in each (being sure to include the order/precedence of each condition, if some take priority over others so that the order is important)?

Upvote 0
No, it looks pretty messed up (as it did from the start). You still appear to be checking for PENDING later in the formula, which is not necessary, since we are checking for it in the first IF.

I do not like to try to "guess" the logic you want to apply from a formula that contains errors. That involves too many assumptions on are part, which may not be correct.

Can you please lay out (in plain English), all your different conditions/scenarios, and what should happen in each (being sure to include the order/precedence of each condition, if some take priority over others so that the order is important)?
Sure!

The purpose of this cell the formula is in determines the title of the sell rate for labor (i.e. ST, OT, STASB,STLD). When any of those four titles are populated in the formulated cell, the cell next to it populates with the appropriate sell rate (i.e. labor billing rate).

I am trying to automate the process and I can live with the "FALSE" result if D3 and/or D4 are in pending status...it does work with the "FALSE" there...me wanting "PENDING" to show up in the formulated cell is just a cosmetic choice and looks more professional.

When the drop down menus for D3 and D4 are in pending status, that means they are waiting for the estimator to make the choices: (D3)"Are we working over time on this job or not?..(D4) does the job contain contaminates or not???"

D3 default drop down shows "PENDING" status......when you click the drop down your choices are ST or OT

The D4 default drop down shows PENDING status.....when you click the drop down you have the choice of YES or NO.

Once D3 and D4 choices are made, the cell the formula is in will populate with the TITLE of the billing rate.....once that title is in the cell, then the cell right next to it populates with the appropriate billing rate....the billing rate cell is formulated to show the proper rate based on the TITLE of the rate.

Once that billing rate is in place, the estimated labor cost is then calculated throughout the multiple tabs of the estimating work book.

I must show the title of the billing rate and I must show the billing rate

The purpose of all of this is the estimating work book (which I did not build) has multiple tabs, which on each tab, those choices I mentioned above have to be made...and they are EASILY overlooked...and when they are overlooked then the estimate is wrong. I am creating one worksheet where you have to make the choices ONE TIME and I feeds the entire workbook...the choices will never be over looked ever again....so instead of picking the choices 6 times....you now only have to pick them once!

Upvote 0
Once D3 and D4 choices are made, the cell the formula is in will populate with the TITLE of the billing rate
Can you post the grid of your possible options along with the associated billing rate for each?

Upvote 0
Can you post the grid of your possible options along with the associated billing rate for each?
well I cant publicize our billing rates so I will use random dollar values.

I never posted a grid before so I will type below the information as it is set in the worksheet

Cell M3: ST
Cell M4: OT
Cell M5 ST/LEAD/ASB
Cell M6: OT/LEAD/ASB

Cell N3: $20.00
Cell N4: $30.00
Cell N5 $25.00
Cell N6: $35.00

Dropdown in D3 is reading from R4:R6...with three choices PENDING, ST, OT
Dropdown in D4 is reading from R1:R3..with three choices PENDING, YES, NO

the formula in questions is in D12 (this populates the cell with the billing rate titles listed above in cells M3:M6)

The cell E12 is formulated to populate with the billing rate (N3:N6) based on the choices in the two drop downs.

Currently, when D3 and/or D4 are in PENDING, I get "FALSE" in D12 and E12 is blank.

I want that FALSE to read as PENDING.

Is that kinda what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
I am not looking for the rates. I am looking for the rate codes that you mentioned.

As I understand it, when looking at cells D3 and D4, there are four possibilities:

D3/D4
ST/Yes
ST/No
OT/Yes
OT/No

All that I am asking you four is the 4 different RATE CODES that go with each of those 4 options, so I know how to build the formula you want.

Upvote 0
I am not looking for the rates. I am looking for the rate codes that you mentioned.

As I understand it, when looking at cells D3 and D4, there are four possibilities:

D3/D4
ST/Yes
ST/No
OT/Yes
OT/No

All that I am asking you four is the 4 different RATE CODES that go with each of those 4 options, so I know how to build the formula you want.
The rate codes are in M3:M6

Cell M3: ST
Cell M4: OT
Cell M5 ST/LEAD/ASB
Cell M6: OT/LEAD/ASB

D3 has two possibilities, if its straight time or overtime: ST or OT
D4 has two possibilities which is asking if the job has lead content: YES or NO

and forgive me...I left out one more drop down in all of this.
D5 has two possibilities, which is asking if the job contains asbestos or not: YES or NO

So its three sets of criteria which determine which rate code...when all 3 drop downs are chosen I get a RATE CODE in D12 and a billing rate in E12

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back