How to prevent overwriting a protected file?

Barry Katcher

Hi, people.

I have a bunch of password-protected files to prevent unauthorized people from opening them. Someone in my office just created a file, and saved it with the same name as one of my files, and it overwrote mine. Can this be prevented?

Thanks for your time.

Barry

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Only if you keep the file in a secret folder where no one ever goes, knows about, or would guess at, which means, the answer is 99.9999% No. All it takes anyway, is for someone to go into Windows Explorer, and change the file name there of one of your workbooks. Most office workers are not nefarious evil-doers who consciously look for ways to confound, but the general population will always contain a subset of fools who will unwittingly circumvent a foolproof system. Maybe try keeping the files accessible as an add-in, or as a VB app, but even then there is the possibility of trouble, however slight.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, Tom. Yes, I figured as much. It was my boss's new boss, who proclaims herself an Excel whiz, but who ended up screwing up a spreadsheet it took me three years to develope. And, as the Boss of All Bosses, she has access to everyone's directory and dere ain't a ting I can do 'bout it. Luckily, the file is backed up in at least two different places.

Thanks again

Barry

Upvote 0
You bring up an excellent point Barry - - never give a boss a file unless you've backed it up first.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back