how to return an error if Cell C2 is greater than the sum of Cells A2 and B2

MAHENDRA WAMAN

I have a table with 5 columns. The First Column is an Opening Balance, second column is Received Quantity, third column is Issued Quantity, fourth column is Closing Balance and the fifth column is Date. I am using this table to maintain a simple inventory. The very first cell under the Opening Balance is entered as an integer value initially. Then onwards only the Received Quantity and Issued Quantity values are entered and the Closing Balance and the Opening Balance values are calculated using formula.
E.g.
A1,B1,C1,D1,E1
A2,B2,C2,D2,E2
A3,B3,C3,D3,E3
A4,B4,C4,D4,E4

The A1 value is entered as 10. The Received Quantity is 0, Issued Quantity is 0 and thus the Closing Balance is calculated as =A1+B1-C1 which will give us value as 10.
The value for A2 is taken as the value of D1 i.e. closing balance of previous day which is 10.
Now when the Quantity is issued, I want to make sure that it does not cross the sum of Opening Balance and Received Quantity so that the Closing Balance does not run into a negative value.
I tried it using Data Validation but could not achieve it; tried validation options on cell C2 as well as on cell D2.
Can anybody guide how to achieve this?
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I have a table with 5 columns. The First Column is an Opening Balance, second column is Received Quantity, third column is Issued Quantity, fourth column is Closing Balance and the fifth column is Date. I am using this table to maintain a simple inventory. The very first cell under the Opening Balance is entered as an integer value initially. Then onwards only the Received Quantity and Issued Quantity values are entered and the Closing Balance and the Opening Balance values are calculated using formula.
E.g.
A1,B1,C1,D1,E1
A2,B2,C2,D2,E2
A3,B3,C3,D3,E3
A4,B4,C4,D4,E4

The A1 value is entered as 10. The Received Quantity is 0, Issued Quantity is 0 and thus the Closing Balance is calculated as =A1+B1-C1 which will give us value as 10.
The value for A2 is taken as the value of D1 i.e. closing balance of previous day which is 10.
Now when the Quantity is issued, I want to make sure that it does not cross the sum of Opening Balance and Received Quantity so that the Closing Balance does not run into a negative value.
I tried it using Data Validation but could not achieve it; tried validation options on cell C2 as well as on cell D2.
Can anybody guide how to achieve this?
Thanks.
So, do you want to make sure the amount issued does not exceed the amount in inventory?

Upvote 0
In your Sheet Module Code window paste in:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Application.Intersect(Target, Range("B:C")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Range("D" & Target.Row) < 0 Then
MsgBox "Closing Balance is Negative; Correct and Try Again"
Target.Select
Target = ""
Application.EnableEvents = True
Exit Sub
Else
Range("E" & Target.Row).Value = Date
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
In your Sheet Module Code window paste in:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Application.Intersect(Target, Range("B:C")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Range("D" & Target.Row) < 0 Then
MsgBox "Closing Balance is Negative; Correct and Try Again"
Target.Select
Target = ""
Exit Sub
Else
Range("E" & Target.Row).Value = Date
End If
End Sub

Thanks a lot... the code is very useful!
Automatically updating the date is superb!!
If I want to use this code for multiple sheets, then I will have to copy it for each sheet separately or is there any other alternate / simple way to implement this code for multiple sheets.
Thanks again.:)

Upvote 0
I tried this... but didn't work.
Works for me.
dunno.gif

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back