How to select certain no of Columns in Excel?

BeepBeep

Hi,

Good evening all,

I am facing problem in selecting certain no of columns. Say, I am in A1 and want to select 256 columns in the first row, just to input some values. Since I do not know the 256th column name (the alphabet which represents the Column name), I could not select it instantly.

But if the same is on the row side, being in the A1, I simply type A256 in the name box and Shift+Enter, that's all, I have already selected it, very controlled operation.

Any ideas with or with out any formulas. There's a trick for this by Bob Umlas, but I am not sure in which book it is..?

BeepBeep

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I generally, while developing, a spreadsheet will have a row present somewhere on the sheet which just contains a single period in each of the cells in the row, then I can select the cell I want to focus on, and use ctrl + shift + left arrow, to jump to the start of the data, then the count function in the status bar will confirm the column number of the originally selected cell way off in multiple alphabet land.

Can always delete or hide this row before it is released to the general public for use.

Upvote 0
I want to select certain no of columns on a blank sheet to input something. Even I am searching for a solution on my end.

Upvote 0
Wow...MickG, you are the man I am looking for. Where did you research? Actually this one of the super advantage when one uses R1C1 style of reference.

Anyways..thank you so much.

BeepBeep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My apologies, completely misunderstood your question. My suggestion was more for quickly identifying which column number you require in larger data tables when performing a vlookup, since the data table may contain blanks it's handy having a row above/below the table with all cells populated with something in order to use the status bar count.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back