How to select specific rows one at a time within a named range.

Kefkolo

I'm using Excel 2010 in Win XP.

I have a named range that consists of selected concatenated rows from a larger spreadsheet. This list of rows is currently 116 but may increase or decrease based on the source data. I’m okay with this part.</SPAN></SPAN>

I want my macro to go to the first row in the named range, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into a text box on another worksheet within the same workbook. Then I want to repeat this over and over creating another text box and pasting into the new text box until the end of the range. I can get the number of the rows in the range by =ROWS(myRange) in a cell nearby.</SPAN></SPAN>

(The purpose of this for the user to move these text boxes to particular spots on a large graphic map – I’m just trying to make it easier for them to build the text boxes.)</SPAN></SPAN>

So far I have everything working except I cannot find a command that will let me specify the row within the named range except manually as in the first command below.</SPAN></SPAN>

I’ve searched through I lot of reference and I found</SPAN></SPAN>
Application.Goto Reference:=”INDEX(myRange,1)” that looked like it might work but I get errors whenever I try to use a variable in place of the number even though I’ve defined it in my DIM as an Integer and I’ve given it a starting value of 1 (e.g. myindex = 1) and then increment it within a For/Next loop. It seems that this command will not accept a variable there.</SPAN></SPAN>

I’ve also looked at ActiveSheet.Range(“C2”,”D10”).select but that doesn’t really address what I need.</SPAN></SPAN>

I need a command(s) that from within my For/Next will select and copy from within my named range and then increment on the next pass.</SPAN></SPAN>

Any suggestions?</SPAN></SPAN>

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
You have a choice of Using a loop like"
For Each c In Range(MyRange)
c.Copy
'code to create the text box and paste
Next
or using the number or rows in the range like:
numRow = Range(MyRange).Rows.Count
For i = 1 To numRow
ActiveSheet.Cells(i, "C").Copy
'Code to create text box and pate
Next
There are other methods, but these two are pretty efficient.

Upvote 0
You have a choice of Using a loop like"

or using the number or rows in the range like:

There are other methods, but these two are pretty efficient.

Thank you JLGWhiz for responding. I'm not sure I understand when you are using "c" It's probably very standard but I'm still a newbe.

You have
Code:
For Each c In Range(MyRange)
c.Copy
'code to create the text box and paste
Next
What is the c representing? Cell? Is the c something I actually enter? also you have
Code:
numRow = Range(MyRange).Rows.Count
For i = 1 To numRow
ActiveSheet.Cells(i, "C").Copy
'Code to create text box and pate
Next
here is it refering to the column? as in Activesheet.Cells(3,1).copy (if I was in the third iteration of the For/Next loop?)
Sorry to be so dense.

Upvote 0
In a For Each...Next statement you can create an object variable for a range or a Sheet or other objexcts in a collection by reference. So the c in this case is an Object Variable for a cell within a range collection of cells. e.g. If you used For Each c In Range("A1:A10"), then on the first iteration of the loop, c would be the equivalent of Range("A1") and would automatically increment by one row on each iteration of the loop. c would hold all the attributes of a range object. It is too bad that Microsoft no longer furnishes the basic instructions of how to use VBA in a form that beginners can understand. However, there are free on line tutorials that give detailed explanations of how to use loops in code.

Upvote 0
Thank you JLGWhiz. That did the job. I still think what I'm trying to do should be easier but I'm very greatful for the help you've given. I can get it down now.

If you would like please look at my new post called "Is there a better way" to see what I'm trying to do and tell me if it's as hard as I'm making it.

Thanks,
Kefkolo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back