How to Total the Number of Words that Start with a Specific Letter

Modify_inc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a list of random words starting at A4 that can go down to A50, though it changes randomly, so sometimes it could be less than A50, but they always start at A4.

In column (F4:F29), I would like to list the total of words found in (A4:A50) that start with each letter of each word. Of course for any that are zero, I would prefer not to display if possible.

Example:
IF,
A4 = Alpha
A5 = Bravo
A6 = Delta
A7 = Dog
A8 = Elephant
etc..

Then respectively:
F4 = 1A (because only one word was found that started with 'A')
F5 = 1B
F6 = 2D (because only 2 words were found that started with 'D')
F7 = 1E
etc..

Hope that makes sense...

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Thanks for the suggestion, just updated it.

Office 2016.

I'm curious, would this require an array or am I overthinking it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, how about
+Fluff v2.xlsm
ABCD
4AlphaA1
5BravoB1
6DeltaD2
7DogF1
8Foxtrot  
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4:C8C4=IFERROR(INDEX(LEFT($A$4:$A$8),AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW($A$4:$A$8)-ROW($A$4)+1)/(ISNA(MATCH(LEFT($A$4:$A$8),C$3:C3,0))),1)),"")
D4:D8D4=IF(C4="","",COUNTIF(A:A,C4&"*"))

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, how about
That could almost work, I just was hoping to keep it to one column if possible.
I just tried something that seems to work, but it's overkill because it uses all the letters in the alphabet.

In F4:
=COUNTIF($A$4:$A$50,"A*")

This seems to work, but I need a way to tell it to use the letters that are already listed in E4. So essentially I need to make it dynamic.

E4:E29 list the letters with the total number of words that should be displayed in A4:A50 that start with that letter.

Example:
E4: 1=A
E5: 1=B
E6: 2=D
E7: 1=E
etc..

So if I could just get the COUNTIF formula above to reference those letters that are listed between E4:E29 (they're not absolute, they do change).
Isn't there a way to make the COUNTIF function in F4 for the ,"A*") portion of it to be a variable so it can equal whatever Letter is in E4, and then do the same for each other Letter listed between E4:E29?

Upvote 0
Maybe
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(A:A,Right(E4)&"*")

Upvote 0
Solution
Maybe
Excel Formula:
I came up with the following, but it didn't work, so I'll try yours and let you know shortly

Here's my attempt:
COUNTIF($A$4:$A$50,LEFT(E4,3)&"*")

Then I couldn't remember if Left() starts counting at 0 or 1, so I tried (E4,2), but that didn't make any difference.

Upvote 0
Maybe
Excel Formula:
Yours worked!!

I still don't see why mine didn't work, it was very similar to yours, I just used the Left(). Any idea why mine didn't? More curious than anything.

Thanks again for your quick responses, you've been extremely helpful!

Upvote 0
if you had "1=A" in E4 then the countif needs to use the last character in the cell, hence you need to use right.

Upvote 0
if you had "1=A" in E4 then the countif needs to use the last character in the cell, hence you need to use right.
Yeah, I just figured it out after testing it. Using Left(E4,3) doesn't just display the 3rd letter, it shows all the letters up to the 3rd letter. I forgot that!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back