How was the workbook opened ?

Jaafar Tribak

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Macro that runs upon opening a workbook but I only want the code to run if the workbook was opened by the Windows Task Scheduler.

Does Excel has a way of detecting how the workbook was launched ? ie via the User or via the task scheduler .

Thanks all.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I'd add a commandline parameter to the version started by the task scheduler and use this code to decide if there are any arguments and act accordingly:

http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2006/01/25/command-line-arguments-in-vba/

Thanks Jan for answering the question.

Unfortunately, using the code in the Auto_Open routine crashes the entire application.
I have tried a variation of the GetCommandLine API which doesn't crash but doesn't return any of the commandline arguments.

I'll carry on investigating the commandline arguments approach and post back with the results.

Upvote 0
I can think of another solution and that is scheduling a small VBScript which opens a new excel instance and string tag the application so that the workbook can run the code according to whether the application is tagged or not.

However, the suggested Commandline approach looks much tidier.

Upvote 0
Ok- the reason the application was crashing was because the GetCommandLine API returns a long Pointer to a String and not a String as per the link suggested. With this correction, the code now works beautifully.

here is the full commandline added to the Task Scheduler with the custom argument TaskScheduler argument added to it:

Code:
"C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE /TaskScheduler C:\Test.xlsm"
and here is the amended API code in the Workbook module :

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Declare Function GetCommandLine Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetCommandLineA" () As Long
Private Declare Function lstrlen Lib "kernel32" Alias "lstrlenA" (ByVal lpString As Long) As Long
Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (pDst As Any, pSrc As Any, ByVal ByteLen As Long)

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

If InStr(1, GetCommLine, "TaskScheduler") Then
        MsgBox "Workbook opened by task scheduler"
    Else
        MsgBox "Workbook opened otherwise"
    End If

End Sub

Private Function GetCommLine() As String

'URL: http://www.allapi.net/
    Dim RetStr As Long, SLen As Long
    Dim Buffer As String

RetStr = GetCommandLine
    SLen = lstrlen(RetStr)
    If SLen > 0 Then
        GetCommLine = Space$(SLen)
        CopyMemory ByVal GetCommLine, ByVal RetStr, SLen
    End If

End Function
Again , thanks for your help with this jkpieterse.

Upvote 0
Well that'd be a key difference between VB and VBA that this nuff nuff forgot about. :eek:

Looking through some old workbooks I had launching via tasks I used to check things like user name (we'd use a specific account for scheduled tasks) and also the launch path. Didn't have to worry about interpreting the command line then.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back