Html maker - testers required!

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
As some of you may be aware, I have been making an add-in to produce html output of selected data in Excel. The output is fairly consistent with that produced by Excel Jeanie as can be seen here:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=241

the differences being:

1. the interface is a whole lot simpler
2. you can choose if you want to output all the formulas in selection or only some of them
3. the ouput colour-codes nesting levels in the formulas
4. it only does formulas and data (it doesn't report conditional formatting or data validation applied)
5. it comes as an .xla file rather than an .exe (so doesn't require Admin rights to install!)
6. the code is visible for anyone that wants to laugh (or cry) at it

The generated html should also be considerably simpler as much of the formatting and style elements are now held in a css file applied to the whole Board (Suat Ozgur has created a css class which I link to in the generated html).

It has been tested by me and Jon von der Heyden and feedback from Suat incorporated. What I need now is for some others to test and come back with any comments.

If you would like to see the file and perhaps test it, please Private Message me with your email address and I'll send you the .xla file and a .doc file with guidance notes:

The .xla file is approx 100Kb in size, so it isn't very big. It will work in all versions of Excel since xl2000, although I will be developing a specific xl2007 ribbon interface next.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I'll send out another build tonight with the correction required for Colin's point above. In the meantime, the correction I have put through is the following:

In module mGenerateGrid in the Generate_Grid sub replace this line:

Code:
vGrid(i + 1, j + 1) = Replace(ReplaceSpace(ReplaceChar(ar.Text)), Chr$(160), " ") 'replace < and > and also spaces

with this line:

Code:
    If Len(ar.Text) > 0 Then
        vGrid(i + 1, j + 1) = Replace(ReplaceSpace(ReplaceChar(ar.Text)), Chr$(160), " ") 'replace < and > and also spaces
    End If

Upvote 0
Is the 12 column limit a temporary or a permanent feature? Cuz it's possible that even sample data may have more than 12 columns

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a total novice and am enjoying using this tool to help me ask my questions :)

It seems to slow up Excel quite a bit sometimes, though, when I'm trying to exit. I don't know enough to understand why this add-in needs to save itself. I'm wondering, will it hurt anything if I comment out these two lines?

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
CleanUp
----->On Error Resume Next  'in case workbook opened read-only
----->ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub

Thanks,
Tai

Upvote 0
I put that in so the default setting was saved when excel was shut down. you can safely remove that sub altogether though with very minimal impact.

Upvote 0
***EDIT*** not sure why HTML isn't showing properly???

Richard...looks like one of the updates messed up the alignment on numbers...

These are regular numbers entered into the cell (ie looks like right aligned in Excel...NOTE: but i did not choose right aligned)
Excel Workbook
C
Sheet2
Excel 2007

This is the same data but i clicked on center aligned...
Excel Workbook
A
Sheet2
Excel 2007

This is same data selecting right aligned...
Excel Workbook
E
Sheet2
Excel 2007

PS...I tried to go to the Testing link and it says I don't have authority...did something change...I was able to get into it before...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nooch,

Just wanted to let you know that I moved your last "stand-alone" test to the "Test Here" forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back