Hyperlink Issues

tjdavis

For reference, I'm using Office Professional Plus 2013

As a quick background, my company works in retail construction management. When we are building a new store, we go out to a bunch of plumbers, for example. We'll get a bid from 4 or 5 plumbers on how much it will cost them to do the job.

We keep all of that information on a spreadsheet that has their company and contact information, but also the bid amount. In the office, we are on a shared network, so everyone could open this spreadsheet from their own computer. We occasionally will make the worksheet a shared document so that we can have multiple people editing, but not always. If we don't, a second person could have it open at the same time, but only as "Read-Only".

When we receive a bid, we either get it in PDF format, or scan it and turn it into a PDF. Those bids are then saved on our network.

I was trying to make a way that you could see the bid information without navigating through folders to find the PDF you wanted. My solution to this was to hyperlink the prices, so that when you were in the job spreadsheet, you could click on the price, and the PDF bid would pop up.

Example: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This worked really great on my computer. When I created it, the hyperlink destination looked like this:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

But as soon as someone opened it on another computer, everything broke somehow. The hyperlink destination then ended up looking like this:

(Ignore the fact that the last part of the file extension, after the 'Bids' folder, is different. I accidentally took screenshots of two different companies)

But as you can see, without moving the location of the PDFs, and without changing the hyperlink, all of a sudden the file location changed. When you try to open the hyperlinks after accessing the worksheet from a different computer, you get the following pop-up:

And clicking on 'Yes' gives you:

Am I doing something wrong here? Is it our network? Is there a better way to accomplish my goal without using the hyperlink function? Any guidance you guys have is greatly appreciated!

Tyler

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
It looks like you are not putting the linked file on a shared folder on your network. It is on your own computer in the C: drive. If you move the file to a shareable spot, you will be fine. Alternatively you can use a cloud service like Google Drive and then link files that way.

Upvote 0
Well that's the problem...that original file location in that Admin folder IS a shared drive on the network. And my coworkers are able to open it on their computers, but only once. After they close the spreadsheet, anyone that opens it after that first time (including me, on my computer) gets the new file location and error message.

Upvote 0
Yeah I was definitely afraid of that, I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue is with our network and not necessarily Excel.

Thank you, Allison!

Upvote 0
This is an Excel problem I am working on as well. It occurs if the file is saved to an employees hard drive. It changes the network location to a local location. Very frustrating!

Upvote 0
Well that makes me feel better that it at least isn't just me. Do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deardevil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back