hyperlinks path changes without notice in a excel workbook

eXtremer

Board Regular
Hello,

We have an excel workbook with data that contains hyperlinks (path to a shared network path). Only one person has write access that adds new data and hyperlinks. I don't know why but from time to time the hyperlinks broke down, the path is changing. The person who works with this excel workbook doesn't understand why it happens and what she is doing wrong, me neither so I could help her. She is opening the excel file from a network path, makes changes and saves it, that's it.

Here is and example of the correct path: \\192.168.1.60\db\files\scan\incoming\2022\04\1297.pdf
And here is the path it changes too (wrong one): C:\Users\Reception\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\scan\incoming\2022\04\1297.pdf

Could you tell me please why does this happen? and what to do so it never happens.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
One fix will require some rework (depending on how many links there are). If you put the location and filenames as text in a regular (column of) cell(s), you can use the HYPERLINK function to create the hyperlinks dynamically. Those hyperlinks will not break, as the file location and names are stored as plain text.

Upvote 0
One fix will require some rework (depending on how many links there are). If you put the location and filenames as text in a regular (column of) cell(s), you can use the HYPERLINK function to create the hyperlinks dynamically. Those hyperlinks will not break, as the file location and names are stored as plain text.
Can you show me an example please? Thank you.

Upvote 0
With the full path and file name in cell A1, this formula gives you a hyperlink which displayes "Link text" in the cell:
Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("file:"&A1,"Link text")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back