I am getting too old to remember where I put things.

farrissf

I use Excel daily and it has become second nature to me. My problem is we have so many network drives and folders on my machine that I use, I cannot remember what I worked on. I often find myself being asked a question and remembering that I already solved that issue but I can't find it! Years ago I ran across a macro that listed every file that I had opened up going way back. Unfortunately, you guessed it... I cannot recall where I got it or what it was called. I know I paid for it but it was 10 years ago or more.

I am not very good at creating macros but here is what I am looking for, when I open an Excel spreadsheet or create an Excel Spreadsheet it would record the name of the sheet every time it is saved, the location of where it was saved, and the date the entry was made. Of course, I want this information to be on a spreadsheet that does not need to be opened in order to make an entry. I think it would be great if it had tags and a few other things that are appropriate. I think I am not the only one that could use something like this, does anyone have any ideas?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
This is not difficult to do if you want to apply to excel files only... You can create a small addin (xlam extension) to catch the save events of each and every workbook and then simply transfer any info you want to some file (to a text file or to another excel workbook) in your disk.

Do a search for creating addins and for the WithEvents keyword for sinking the excel application events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back