I am Perplexed with EXCEL Text... I can't wrap my brian around this one - Need THE EXCEL GODS

ardenpowers

I Have A Couple Problems To Work Thru On This Project And This Is The First.

I Have A Customer Workbook That I Use To Track Multiple Projects. A New Project Is Created With A Form And That Data Goes To The Table Of Contents And Is Used To Create A New Worksheet Just For This Project.

From The Table Of Contents Clicking On A Project Brings Up That Worksheet. The Worksheet Is Stupid Simple. Headers And Contact Information From The Project Setup Form... This Is Used For Reference Only. 80% Of This Worksheet Is Blank, So Updates And Job Status Information Can Be Entered From Any Number Of People. I Have 3 Big 60-Character Wide Columns On The Page That Take Up 80% Of The Screen; Top To Bottom - 60 Characters Wide.

So Here Is My Challenge. When You Navigate To This Worksheet, You Are Either Reading Updates Or Posting An Update. I Need To Be Able To Click A Form Button, Enter A Password, And Then Type In A Status Update For This Job; It Might Be 10 Words Or 500 Words. When I Am Done Typing I Want To Close The Input Screen And This Text Move To The Top - Left Of The 3 Columns On That Page, The Message Needs To Have A Time / Date Stamp, The Other Message Need To Move Down So The New Message Is On Top (Chronological Order), After Or Before Each New Message I Would Like A 50% Horizontal Break Line Or Something To Distinguish The Message Apart.

That’s Parts Of It... In The Beginning When The Project Was Created From The First User Form, It Was Assigned To 1 Of 4 Managers. I Want These Managers To Have A Quick View Worksheet Of Their Projects. When They Navigate To This Worksheet, I Want Them To See The Last 5 Projects Of Theirs That Had Activity. The Only Indicator Of Activity Is A Text Entry That I Just Covered. So I Also Need To Track The Last 5 Jobs And Keep The Quick View Page Up To Date. I Imagine This Page To Have 5 Fairly Long Boxes That Would Have The Project Name On Top And The Message From The Project Page. This Page Doesn't Need All The Formatting, Or All The Message, It Could Cut Off At So Many Characters Or Just Overflow, But They Need To Be Able To Quickly Look At Their Page, See The 5 Most Recent Job Activities And Have Part Of The Status Messages In This Box.

I Know This Is A Lot .. Arden

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Arden,

I looks like you've put a good amount of work into thinking through the specifications of your project and that's always a good way to start.

I can see that you're new to the board and perhaps you don't understand how a forum like MrExcel works. It's not a place where you just drop off your specs and then come back and someone has done your project for free. Well, it's not supposed to be, but sometimes that does indeed happen.

It's supposed to be a place where you can get help and direction regarding specific issues in the process of tackling your problems yourself.

If you lack the time, the ability or just simply the desire to tackle the issue on your own, then you need to consider hiring someone to do it for you as a professional service. Tracy is MrExcel's project coordinator and you can contact her about getting help if you cannot (or just don't want to) do the project yourself.

http://www.mrexcel.com/consult.shtml

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Dude, do yourself a favor: copy your post into Word, select the text and use Change Case-->Sentence case. Then add some paragraph breaks and paste it back here.

I serioulsy doubt anyone is going to give your post much effort if it's not readable (as much as we'd all like to do so), and right now it's decidedly not.

Upvote 0
Hey Greg - Thank You for your reply. I must agree I didn't put alot of thought into my post, and thats disrespectful to those of you that are here in support of this page.

I dont mind the work, it just seems hard to find what you asre looking for. I would love some webpages or links to where I can see how examples of code and how it works. I have found some VBA and access sites like this and it helped alot.

Any ideas ?? Anyway thank you for your time.

Hi Arden,

I looks like you've put a good amount of work into thinking through the specifications of your project and that's always a good way to start.

I can see that you're new to the board and perhaps you don't understand how a forum like MrExcel works. It's not a place where you just drop off your specs and then come back and someone has done your project for free. Well, it's not supposed to be, but sometimes that does indeed happen.

It's supposed to be a place where you can get help and direction regarding specific issues in the process of tackling your problems yourself.

If you lack the time, the ability or just simply the desire to tackle the issue on your own, then you need to consider hiring someone to do it for you as a professional service. Tracy is MrExcel's project coordinator and you can contact her about getting help if you cannot (or just don't want to) do the project yourself.

http://www.mrexcel.com/consult.shtml

Upvote 0
I dont mind the work, it just seems hard to find what you asre looking for. I would love some webpages or links to where I can see how examples of code and how it works.
Hello Arden,
Sometimes it's easier to search MrExcel using google's search engine. I've saved the following link as a favorite... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:MrExcel.com.
Browsing this site you will find thousands of examples of code. Search for a word or two that make sense to you, then look at those posts. Read, learn, and absorb.
You've taken the time to break your problem into pieces, so you can likely solve the problem the same way. Pick any one of the pieces, and work through the logic of it. Search for "User form" or "Userform" on the site and you will find lots of possible ways to implement the data entry. I recommend that you start off without the password functionality and build up to it as you're more comfortable writing code.
Use the macro recorder to capture snippets of code (like inserting a row at the top of the page so that the latest status is on top), then merge those in with the code you've already written.
One step at a time, you will increase your Excel skills and solve your problem. Along the way, if you have a specific question (like how to create a password entry dialog when you're ready for that), ask the question specifically, and you're more likely to get useful answers.
Regards,
Cindy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back