I have rows of records, each w/ a start and end date. How can I compile and summarize these in a separate table, month by month

jamwil

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-28%20at%205.55.44%20PM.png

Above I have a list of projects, each on a new row, each with a start and end date. I need to take this information and organize it into a month by month forecast, the outline of which should look something like this:

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-28%20at%206.00.11%20PM.png

Is this possible or reasonable to do? I've looked into vlookup(), match() and offset()—it seems these functions may hold the key but it's a very complex task and I'm not really sure where to start. Is there a function (or set of functions) that's better suited for this kind of work? How would you tackle it?
Thanks,
James

(Excel 2013 / Windows 8)

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi James and welcome to MrExcel.

Based on your first table, I cannot understand what it is you would like to display in your second table!

For example, look at my table below and tell me what you would like to see displayed for March.....

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1InventoryForecast
2Fiscal YearMonthRawWIPFinishedBaselineOptimalBest Case
32013March
4April
5May
6June
7July
8August
9September
10October
11November
12December
132014January
14February
15March
16April
17May
18June
Sheet1

And where is this data to come from?

Ak

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply! Here's a .xlsx if it helps: DummyForecastFY2014.xlsx

I'll give you an example of what I'm looking to do. Let's say I need a forecast for the month of May 2013 (I need it for every month listed but we'll start with one)... If I go on the 'month by month' worksheet, on the May row, I need it to look through the list of projects, pick which ones are ongoing during that month (based on the start/end date of each project), then put together the forecasts. The Baseline forecast is simply the number of units Closed plus the number of units Committed to in the given month. The Optimal and Best Case forecasts incorporate the number of units in the pipeline, just with a different threshold for 'health' (the likelihood of success). I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

James

Upvote 0
Hi James,

I cannot access that file as I'm not a member of that forum.
If you have posted this question elsewhere then you should reference that question in your post!!
That way people will not be wasting their time when someone else may have solved it elsewhere!!!

Considering the above, I cannot help you further with this.

Good luck.

Ak

Upvote 0
Apologies—I assure you it has not been solved; I would let all parties know if it was and I most definitely have no intention of wasting your time. I have none to waste of my own. I've found Mr. Excel to be better (having just lurked in the past) than ExcelHelp, but I posted the question to both boards as a function of due diligence. You can find the other post here: Rows of records, each w/ start & end date. Need to compile and summarize month by month

Here is a copy of the excel file hosted on my dropbox which should be accessible by all: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/144658904/DummyForecastFY2014.xlsx

Upvote 0
Okay I got it! The trick was to use SUMIFS. For any given month, you run SUMIFS testing that the start date is at or prior to that month, and the end date is at or after that month. Repeat for each month and you find yourself with a month by month summary.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back