Ideas Power Query and/or Python?

mickeystanford_alumni

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi, I have an excel file with around 30 queries all referenced to different excel files. So 30 excel files, and a consolidated file where one of the sheets of each of those files goes here. Then, on my consolidated file I create a report with different figures and tables referencing each of the sheets. Let's say a way to create a consolidated report out of different excel files.

The problem I am facing is to refresh the data it is actually going quite slow, takes like 10-15min to refresh. Some of the sheets are pretty quick, others take so much time like my task manager goes to 4,000MB on excel taking 80% of memory.

Is there any way to improve the performance of the file?

I was thinking to create a python script to bring all those sheets into a consolidated sheet, and then querying just one sheet. I guess it will be faster, but I will have to change my name references...

Just if anyone has an idea on how to improve the performance without having to use pythong and then power query, that'd be very appreciated.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Where are these files located? SharePoint or a LAN or somewhere else?

Upvote 0
also something I realised is when I go to the query on the right-hand side of Queries & Connection it says:
LOAD STATUS
Data loaded to worksheet
DATA SOURCES

So seems there is a background thing running on the back, that's why my file has such a low performance?

Upvote 0
It also depends on how you build your queries. Maybe you can improve by just changing your query steps to a more efficient solution

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I do not have time currently. Search for best practices. For example, start with deleting all columns which you don’t need as first step, in evey query. So that your next steps have less to process. Also, take a look al table.buffer and list.buffer. Sometimes they can improve queries a lot by storing data in memory.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I do not have time currently. Search for best practices. For example, start with deleting all columns which you don’t need as first step, in evey query. So that your next steps have less to process. Also, take a look al table.buffer and list.buffer. Sometimes they can improve queries a lot by storing data in memory
thanks for the response

any other with time to help? :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back