Identify row containing max date for multiple rederences

Corp_exceller

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a sheet of data containing multiple rows of non distinct application numbers, and columns containing a date and time, which will be different per entry. This is a non distinct set of application numbers which I want to make distinct based on latest date.

*Note there are many other columns in the data set which don’t apply to the problem I’m trying to fix.

I want to identify the row which contains the latest date (for each application number) by putting either true false or any other two binary markings, so that I can filter on the ‘true’s, giving me a leaned out data set.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Ok. Try to analyze the formulas and references from this table, adjusting them in your one on the basis of its different structure. Apart from the suggestion of Peter_SSs, you could upload a (larger) section of your table as file in cloud (e.g. Dropbox), and send its generated link in your message. P.S. When apply formulas, take into account all of them to be edited as array type ( Excel Array formula | Exceljet)

Book1
BCD
2ValuesDatesStatus
3AA12 June 2022 
4CC28 June 2022 
5EE01 September 2022Latest
6BB03 July 2022Latest
7EE11 July 2022 
8VV14 September 2022Latest
9EE04 February 2022 
10AA22 September 2022Latest
11CC30 September 2022Latest
12BB07 January 2022 
13AA03 February 2022 
14VV03 April 2022
15DD05 August 2022Latest
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D15,D3:D13D3=IF(C3=MAX(IF(B3=$B$3:$B$15,$C$3:$C$15,"")),"Latest","")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.
1660257785587.png

I copied exactly what you have and this is what I get. I'm really not sure what the issue is as it is exactly as you've posted

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Ok. Try to analyze the formulas and references from this table, adjusting them in your one on the basis of its different structure. Apart from the suggestion of Peter_SSs, you could upload a (larger) section of your table as file in cloud (e.g. Dropbox), and send its generated link in your message. P.S. When apply formulas, take into account all of them to be edited as array type ( Excel Array formula | Exceljet)

Book1
BCD
2ValuesDatesStatus
3AA12 June 2022 
4CC28 June 2022 
5EE01 September 2022Latest
6BB03 July 2022Latest
7EE11 July 2022 
8VV14 September 2022Latest
9EE04 February 2022 
10AA22 September 2022Latest
11CC30 September 2022Latest
12BB07 January 2022 
13AA03 February 2022 
14VV03 April 2022
15DD05 August 2022Latest
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D15,D3:D13D3=IF(C3=MAX(IF(B3=$B$3:$B$15,$C$3:$C$15,"")),"Latest","")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.
Actually, I’m missing curly brackets. I haven’t tried them with the ctrl-shift thing you mentioned so let me try that tomorrow and I’ll let you know how I’ve got on.

Upvote 0
Fantastic, that worked! It was my ignorance of the nuance ctrl-shift-Enter, as opposed to just Enter. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a new question of a very similar nature! Is it possible to do the same as I asked for, but add another column into the mix? So for example, I now want to find latest date based on further broken down data, whilst still ordering by the application number? For example..

1660828655555.png

Each code can have a duplicated category e.g. AA has two INS and one OUT. I want to pic out the latest IN per code (or OUTS, as the case may be)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a new question of a very similar nature! Is it possible to do the same as I asked for, but add another column into the mix? So for example, I now want to find latest date based on further broken down data, whilst still ordering by the application number? For example..

View attachment 71909

Each code can have a duplicated category e.g. AA has two INS and one OUT. I want to pic out the latest IN per code (or OUTS, as the case may be)
You asked before to be found the most recent day of each month. As result, it's a single day only, not more ones. No matter how many other series of data are added, it can be just one Code / Category etc. result, linked with a single latest day of month. So, you have to decide what series of elements (Values / Category etc.) is accorded with the time, I can't see both working simultaneously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You asked before to be found the most recent day of each month. As result, it's a single day only, not more ones. No matter how many other series of data are added, it can be just one Code / Category etc. result, linked with a single latest day of month. So, you have to decide what series of elements (Values / Category etc.) is accorded with the time, I can't see both working simultaneously.
Or, it is possible by resulting other new Status series, each one specific to every new category that is added.

Upvote 0
I suppose I’m wanting the latest dates to be based on the category, but taking into account the code, so that I’m not just left with one latest date for IN and one for OUT. I’d want it per code

Upvote 0
I suppose I’m wanting the latest dates to be based on the category, but taking into account the code, so that I’m not just left with one latest date for IN and one for OUT. I’d want it per code
Upload, or insert by copy-paste in the body of message, an editable table (not a photo! ) with examples of initial data, final results desired and relationships between them. Your messages and previous attached image are unclear , regarding the content of the new table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back