If Dates --> Auto-populate a FY Quarter

KVC123

I'm struggling a bit with conditional formatting and dates. I dont think the answer is overly complicated but for whatever reason I am stumped. I think I might not understand if/when/how to apply <= and a date.

I have a column F (Start Date) and a Colum G (End Date) and would like to set up conditional formatting for Column A (Quarter) to auto-populate. Additional nuance with the data is that the start date won't trigger this but the end date will (ie, an event can begin in one quarter and carry over to the next and it will be counted in the latter).

• My date formatting is currently in the mm/dd/yyyy (and, if possible, I'd like it to stay that way)
  • I'd like the rule to populate an answer in the Quater Column (A) as one of the following: 1Q17, 2Q17, 3Q17, 4Q17

any insights greatly appreciated!!
-KVC

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a specific answer for you, but I can suggest that you might find the spare time to watch a terrific video all about Conditional Formatting. It might answer your question. If not, come back and we'll work away at a solution for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfe4bHsjhI

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back