If Else advice please if cell has a specific value

ipbr21054

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using the code shown below but i would like to add an If Else line of code but not sure on how to do it.

The code below will be used the same both times but with or without the additional value added when saved.

Before the file is saved / printed etc i would like the code to check for a value in a cell.
The cell is question is N1
There will be various values in the cell but will only ever consist of 1 letter
The letter im interested in is M

So what i need to add to my existing code If cell N1 ="M" then save the file the same as the line of code shown in blue but with the additional value of *SUS* to the saved output
Else just save it using the blue line of code.

The output will be like my example below depending if cell N1 = M or not

TOM JONES
16-10-2023
ABC 123

or

TOM JONES
16-10-2023
ABC 123
*SUS*

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub PurchasedKey_Click()
  Dim sPath As String
  Dim strFileName As String
  Dim sh As Worksheet

If TextBox1 = "" Then
  MsgBox "YOU DID NOT ENTER A CUSTOMERS NAME", vbCritical, "NO NAME ENTERED ON SHEET"
  TextBox1.SetFocus
  Exit Sub

End If

With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("PRINT LABELS")
    .Range("B3") = Me.TextBox1.Text
    .Range("E3") = Format(DateSerial(CLng(Me.cboYear.Value), Me.cboMonth.ListIndex + 1, Me.cboDay.Value), "long date")

End With
  Unload PrinterForm

With ActiveSheet
    If .Range("AB1") = "" Then
      MsgBox "NO CODE SHOWN TO GENERATE PDF", vbCritical, "NO CODE ON SHEET TO CREATE PDF"
      Exit Sub
    End If
ENTER LINE OF CODE HERE PLEASE
    strFileName = "C:\Users\Ian\Desktop\REMOTES ETC\DISCO II CODE\DISCO II PDF\" & .Range("B3").Value & " " & Format(.Range("E3").Value, "dd-mm-yyyy") & " " & .Range("AB1").Value & ".pdf"
    .Range("A1:K23").ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=strFileName, Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False

With ActiveSheet
    ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut copies:=1

End With
 End With
End Sub

I tried this but my code was incorrect
Rich (BB code):
    If .Range("N1") = M Then
    strFileName = "C:\Users\Ian\Desktop\REMOTES ETC\DISCO II CODE\DISCO II PDF\" & .Range("B3").Value & " " & Format(.Range("E3").Value, "dd-mm-yyyy") & " " & .Range("AB1").Value & " " & *SUS* ".pdf"
    .Range("A1:K23").ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=strFileName, Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False

Else

strFileName = "C:\Users\Ian\Desktop\REMOTES ETC\DISCO II CODE\DISCO II PDF\" & .Range("B3").Value & " " & Format(.Range("E3").Value, "dd-mm-yyyy") & " " & .Range("AB1").Value & ".pdf"
    End If

With ActiveSheet
    ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut copies:=1

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
You just need quotes:

Rich (BB code):
    If .Range("N1") = "M" Then

VBA thinks that M is a variable. You have not declared it, so Excel thinks it is a Variant with a value of 0. I strongly recommend to everyone that they use Option Explicit and declare variables. Doing so prevents a lot of bugs and runtime errors. If you had done this, you would have gotten a compiler error pointing out the problem.

Upvote 0
So now using the above that makes my code like so but this line is now shown in Red

Rich (BB code):
    If .Range ("N1") = "M" Then
    strFileName = "C:\Users\Ian\Desktop\REMOTES ETC\DISCO II CODE\DISCO II PDF\" & .Range("B3").Value & " " & Format(.Range("E3").Value, "dd-mm-yyyy") & " " & .Range("AB1").Value & " " & *SUS* ".pdf"

Else

MsgBox "PDF COPY HAS NOW BEEN GENERATED", vbInformation + vbOKOnly, "GENERATE PDF FILE MESSAGE"
 End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
The code blow is what is in place so i will now leave for any help it as im getting nowhere.
By changing the value shown below in Red im getting syntax error, value not defind etc hence why i will now leave it & over to some help.

@MARK858 this is right up your street i think.
Thanks

Rich (BB code):
    If .Range("N1") = "M" Then
    strFileName = "C:\Users\Ian\Desktop\REMOTES ETC\DISCO II CODE\DISCO II PDF\" & .Range("B3").Value & " " & Format(.Range("E3").Value, "dd-mm-yyyy") & " " & .Range("AB1").Value & " " & (*SUS*).Value & ".pdf"
    Else

End If
    MsgBox "PDF COPY HAS NOW BEEN GENERATED", vbInformation + vbOKOnly, "GENERATE PDF FILE MESSAGE"
 End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
What is *SUS* supposed to be? "*" is not a valid character for a filename, and the way you are using the string is not valid for a wildcard. The two ways you have tried are both invalid syntax

VBA Code:
& *SUS* ".pdf"

VBA Code:
& (*SUS*).Value & ".pdf"

But it's not possible to tell what you intend by looking at what doesn't work.

Upvote 0
If M is present is the cell I would like the saved output file to also include *SUS* if * isn’t allowed then just SUS

Upvote 0
The cell in question is N1
The value of inter is the letter M

So depending on whether the value M is in cell N1 depends on how i would like the file saved.

If cell N1 value is M then save like this,

TOM JONES
16-10-2023
ABC 123
SUS.pdf

If cell N1 has any other value then save like this,

TOM JONES
16-10-2023
ABC 123.pfd

I know the syntax is wrong so i am just i looking at various ways to try & correct it but was so far im unable to.
So i await help from the group

Thanks

Upvote 0
Change the code you showed as red from this

" " & (*SUS*).Value & ".pdf"

to this

" SUS.pdf"

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks all done.

I was following the method like the other but yours worked

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back