If Names match on different tabs, enter data from 1st tab row/column into second tab.

NGB82KS

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
So I have 2 tabs 'Roster-Export' & 'Breakout'
The 'Roster-Export' tab is a complete listing of users, certifications, dates of completion etc..
The 'Breakout' tab is a bunch of formulas to break out certain info from the roster, surname, firstname, Mi etc...

I need to have a formula check for exact name matches on the 'Roster-Export' tab (Column A) against the 'Breakout' tab, name (Column J), and if there is a match, I need to to fill in (Column K) of the 'Breakout' tab with the text from 'Roster-Export' tab (Column I). Is this possible?

Example:
'Roster-Export' tab; Column A5 = "doe, john"; Column I5 = "20200201"
'Breakout' tab; Column J20 = "doe, john";
Because the names match, Column K of the 'Breakout' tab would display as "20200201".

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
=Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))
should do that lookup for you

Upvote 0
=Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))
should do that lookup for you
Will this value that it fills in be usable for an additional formula that I can introduce into a Pivot Table later?
Management only wants to see a yes or a no, but No has 3 different answers from the K Column lookup to equal No and yes has 2.

Such as =IF((OR([Status]="#N/A",[Status]="No",[Status]="Certification obtained")),"No","Yes") or something like this

Upvote 0
dont understand
WILL THIS VALUE
is that the lookup value of "20200201"
not sure how that relates to the if()
But any value brought over would still be used in a pivottable

Upvote 0
dont understand
WILL THIS VALUE
is that the lookup value of "20200201"
not sure how that relates to the if()
But any value brought over would still be used in a pivottable
Ok sorry let me try again..
The formula you gave me "=Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))" returns one of the following as a result:
#N/A (if there is no data in that field)
or a date
or a TBD

Im trying to convert the #N/A and TBD to a "No" in a separate field so when I build a Pivot table it will sum the total yes and the total no

Upvote 0
yes you can do that - you can also us the IF() on the lookup

=IF( OR( ISERROR(Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))), Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))="TBD") , "NO", "YES")

Upvote 0
yes you can do that - you can also us the IF() on the lookup

=IF( OR( ISERROR(Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))), Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))="TBD") , "NO", "YES")
1st of all, you're some kinda excel daemon or wizard not sure which
2nd, it changed the TBD answer to a No, but it still shows #N/A in the cells, so the cells are now Yes, No, #/NA. For some reason I cant make the N/A show up as a No.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=IF( ISERROR(Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))), "NO", IF(Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))="TBD", "NO", "YES"))
Not the best way , as an OR() testing the #N/A still returns #N/A - must be a better way I will Think
OR
=IF( ISNA(Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))), "NO", IF(Index('Roster-Export'!I:I,Match('Breakout'!J20,'Roster-Export'!A:A,0))="TBD", "NO", "YES"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back