IF Statement in dropdown list without defaulting to 0?

Data2link

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I haven't quit found the answer I'm looking for, so hope I can get some help here :)

I have a dropdown list that contains the following choices:

Column C (Dropdown list)
Yes,
No,
Partially,
N/A

Column D Has a IF statement that tells the person filling out the form if they must answer that question or not. If not it says NA in this column.

I have an IF statement in Column C with the dropdown list that says: =IF(D9="NA","N/A",)
This works, but then it puts the default in the cell to "0" - I just need it to be blank or default to the If statement of "N/A"

Any ideas?

Marcy

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(D9="NA","N/A","")
Although the formula will be lost as soon as a value is chosen from the drop down

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(D9="NA","N/A","")
Although the formula will be lost as soon as a value is chosen from the drop down
That worked- so simple and I didn't even think of it :D Thanks so much!!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
OK- so one more thing, when I do that formula,
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.
You bet. I have one more question- when I do the NA- it puts a score error message because its dividing by 0 in another column- Is there a way to either hide that or make it put a number on there?

Upvote 0
I have no idea, as you haven't said what the formula is, but as it's a totally different question, it needs a new thread. Thanks

Upvote 0
I have no idea, as you haven't said what the formula is, but as it's a totally different question, it needs a new thread. Thanks
Oh OK sorry- I will report with the formula in a new thread

Upvote 0
OK- so one more thing, when I do that formula,

You bet. I have one more question- when I do the NA- it puts a score error message because its dividing by 0 in another column- Is there a way to either hide that or make it put a number on there?
Hi, I'm having an issue wit the code still. The code gets deleted out if you choose a different answer in the dropdown list. So in the beginning, it is blank, or NA, but if you choose any of the other answers (Yes, No, Partially) then it takes the code out. Do I need to lock the cell for it to stick?

Upvote 0
I know it does that, which is why I said
Locking the cell will make no difference.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having an issue wit the code still. The code gets deleted out if you choose a different answer in the dropdown list. So in the beginning, it is blank, or NA, but if you choose any of the other answers (Yes, No, Partially) then it takes the code out. Do I need to lock the cell for it to stick?
A cell can either contain a formula or a hard-coded value, but never both at the same time, and it has no memory of what was in it before.

If you want to do something that can handle both, that would require VBA code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back