IF text value in column A, SUM Column B+C, Otherwise Display Zero

Analyst 007

Having a hard time finding another thread addressing this exact situation. Hopefully someone can help:

IF there is a text value in column A, I want to SUM Column B+C. If there is no text value in column A, I want to display 0 (zero).

Greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Andy

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Ok, Just tried that. but it seems to just be summing B+C regardless. A1 is a Vlookup formula, which in many cases displays nothing. I'd like to keep my workbook live but do I need to do a copy/paste values to get my desired result?

Upvote 0
Are you displaying "" in Column A because that would be considered text, it's an empty string.
Perhaps this would work better for you:
=(B1+C1)*(A1<>"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... IF there is a text value in column A, I want to SUM Column B+C. If there is no text value in column A, I want to display 0 (zero).
This will return the sum only if A1 evaluates to text (not empty string, not number, not date/time):

=(B1+C1)*ISTEXT(A1)*(LEN(A1)>0)

Upvote 0
Thanks Scott, however this seemed to sum it regardless of the value or not. The VLOOKUP in column A does not include "". I did figure out another way to do it by changing my Column A source to Column X.

Upvote 0
That's really strange:

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">7</td><td style="text-align:right; ">4</td><td style="text-align:right; ">0</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >b</td><td style="text-align:right; ">7</td><td style="text-align:right; ">4</td><td style="text-align:right; ">11</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D1</td><td >=(B1+C1)*(A1<>"")</td></tr><tr><td >D2</td><td >=(B2+C2)*(A2<>"")</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br /><br /><span style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt; font-weight:bold;background-color:#ffffff; color:#000000; ">Excel tables to the web >> </span>

I'm glad you got it to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back