IFERROR (AVERAGEIFS....) Question - error it says too many arguments

Destined

I have this formula and it is telling me too many arguments. How do i fix it? Since i need all these criteria to determine the salaries? Salary is based on student enrollment, ranking, length of service, and credit weight. can someone help?

=IFERROR(AVERAGEIFS('Salary Layout'!H:H,'Salary Layout'!A:A,FacultyData!A3,'Salary Layout'!D:D,"<="& FacultyData!B3,'Salary Layout'!E:E,">="&FacultyData!B3,'Salary Layout'!F:F,"<="&FacultyData!C3,'Salary Layout'!G:G,">="&FacultyData!C3), ‘Salary Layout’!B:B,“<=”&FacultyData!M3,’Salary Layout’!C:C,”>=”&FacultyData!M3),“Unknown”)

My two worksheets are:
Salary Layout worksheet:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Faculty Rankings
Min Credit Weight
Max Credit Weight
Min. Length of Service
Max. Length of Service
Min. Student Enrollment
Max. Student Enrollment
Salaries

<tbody>
</tbody>
FacultyData Worksheet:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M

Faculty Ranking
Length of Service
Student Enrollment
Credit
Salary
Saln
Firstname
Lastname
EMP#
SSN
Dept.
Course #
Section
Term

<tbody>
</tbody>

thanks much
Destined

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
The issue is with the parenthesis behind "...C3" and with different kinds of quotes.

Try: =IFERROR(AVERAGEIFS('Salary Layout'!H:H,'Salary Layout'!A:A,FacultyData!A3,'Salary Layout'!D:D,"<="& FacultyData!B3,'Salary Layout'!E:E,">="&FacultyData!B3,'Salary Layout'!F:F,"<="&FacultyData!C3,'Salary Layout'!G:G,">="&FacultyData!C3, 'Salary Layout'!B:B,"<="&FacultyData!M3,'Salary Layout'!C:C,">="&FacultyData!M3),"Unknown")

Upvote 0
Thank you for picking up that error!
destined

The issue is with the parenthesis behind "...C3" and with different kinds of quotes.

Try: =IFERROR(AVERAGEIFS('Salary Layout'!H:H,'Salary Layout'!A:A,FacultyData!A3,'Salary Layout'!D:D,"<="& FacultyData!B3,'Salary Layout'!E:E,">="&FacultyData!B3,'Salary Layout'!F:F,"<="&FacultyData!C3,'Salary Layout'!G:G,">="&FacultyData!C3, 'Salary Layout'!B:B,"<="&FacultyData!M3,'Salary Layout'!C:C,">="&FacultyData!M3),"Unknown")

Upvote 0
Also, if you are running this formula in FacultyData, try to drop references to this sheet...

=IFERROR(AVERAGEIFS('Salary Layout'!H:H,'Salary Layout'!A:A,A3,'Salary Layout'!D:D,"<="&B3,'Salary Layout'!E:E,">="&B3,'Salary Layout'!F:F,"<="&C3,'Salary Layout'!G:G,">="&C3,'Salary Layout'!B:B,"<="&M3,'Salary Layout'!C:C,">="&M3),"Unknown")

Upvote 0
I have added another criteria, Credit, to my formula so that it will look up the right salary not based on only Ranking, Length of service, Student Enrollment but also Credit but the formula but it didn't give me the right results. Can someone kindly enlightened me? Sorry for the many questions. I am newbie to excel. Excel highlighted the last C4 in the formula that needs fixing! Not sure how to fix it. HELP! HELP!

=IFERROR(AVERAGEIFS('Salary Layout'!G:G,'Salary Layout'!A:A,'Salary Layout'!B:B,FacultyData!A4,'Salary Layout'!C:C,"<="& FacultyData!B4,'Salary Layout'!D:D,">="&FacultyData!B4,'Salary Layout'!E:E,"<="&FacultyData!C4,'Salary Layout'!F:F,">="&FacultyData!C4),"Unknown")

Salary Layout worksheet:
Faculty RankingsCredit Min. Length of ServiceMax. Length of ServiceMin. Student EnrollmentMax. Student EnrollmentSalaries

<tbody>
</tbody>

FacultyData worksheet:
Faculty RankingLength of ServiceStudent Enrollment Credit SalarySalnFirstnameLastname

<tbody>
</tbody>
Thanks for helping,

Destined

Upvote 0
Yes, because i have different ranges for student enrollment e.g. <5, 5-10, 11-15, etc. and same with length of service - <5, 5-10, >10. And credits is between 1-6 but i had layed it out like this in Salary Layout so i didnt use <= or >=. I need to add the credit to the formula as a criteria so that the salary is based on ranking, length of service, student enrollment and credit. I give a small portion to show you how it looks:

Faculty RankingsCredit WeightMin. Length of ServiceMax. Length of ServiceMin. Student EnrollmentMax. Student EnrollmentSalaries
Senior10405 xxxx
Senior104610 xxxx
Senior20405 xxxx
Senior204610 xxxx
Senior30405 xxxx
Senior304610 xxxx
Senior40405 xxxx
Senior404610 xxxx
Senior60405 xxxx
Senior604610 xxxx
Junior10405 xxxx
Junior104610 xxxx
Junior20405 xxxx
Junior204610 xxxx
Junior30405 xxxx
Junior304610 xxxx
Junior40405 xxxx
Junior404610 xxxx
Temporary10405 xxxx
Temporary104610 xxxx
Temporary20405 xxxx
Temporary204610 xxxx
Temporary30405 xxxx
Temporary304610 xxxx
Temporary40405 xxxx
Temporary404610 xxxx
Temporary60405 xxxx

<colgroup><col span="4"><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
THanks,
Destined

Upvote 0
in FacultyData worksheet i A4 - Ranking (e.g. senior), B4 is length of service (eg. 5 years), c4 is student enrollment (15 students), d4 is credit (2 credits). in Salary Layout A is Ranking, B is credit, C is Min Length of Service, D is Maximum Length of service, E is Min Student Enrollment and F is Max student enrollment. Hope i am answering your question.
Thanks,
D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feaugcruz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back