mohdabrar

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am trying to get the below formula to work. I don't know what I am getting wrong over here. Can someone please help with the same.

=IFS(M3="",O3,O3="",R3),IFNA(VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!B2:C95,2,0),VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!$F$2:$G$6,2,0)))

The formula works well with only IFNA part, but if i add the IFS before, it gives a #Value! error. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Can you please explain in words what you are trying to do.

Also what version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ideally answer Fluff's request for more information but as a shot in the dark.
Excel Formula:
=IFS(M3="",O3,O3="",R3,TRUE,IFNA(VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!B2:C95,2,0),VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!$F$2:$G$6,2,0)))

Note: it will only get to the IFNA part if M3<>"" AND O3<>""
It seems a bit odd to be checking for O3 = "" AFTER you have possibly already used it if M3=""

Upvote 0
So this is what I am trying to do. I have data in M Column, which I want to VLOOKUP from Sponsor List Ref Sheet. However, sometimes, the M column is empty and I have data in O Column. and in Some cases both M and O column is empty in which case, There's nothing to LOOKUP. In a scenario where both M and O Column are empty I want the formula to get the data which is in cell R. Else, just VLOOKUP column M. Hope its clear. I am using Office 365.

Upvote 0
What is meant to happen if M3 is empty?
Also If you use R3 for the lookup, what range should it be looking in?

Upvote 0
What is meant to happen if M3 is empty?
Also If you use R3 for the lookup, what range should it be looking in?
The formula goes in "N" Column. If M3 is empty, It should give me the value from O3. However, if both M3 and O3 are empty, I need value from R Column. Else, I just want to VLOOKUP M column in Column N from Sponsor List Ref. Sheet.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but this is not making any sense to me.
At the moment you have a formula that is looking up M3 in col B of the Sponsor List Ref sheet & if that returns #N/A it lookups M3 in col F.
Now you are saying that i M3 is not blank it should lookup M3 in col N :unsure:

Upvote 0
At a guess, is this what you want
Excel Formula:
=IF(M3<>"",IFNA(VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!B2:C95,2,0),VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!$F$2:$G$6,2,0)),IF(O3="",R3,O3))

Upvote 0
Solution
Try

Excel Formula:
=IFS(M3="",O3,O3="",R3,R3="",IFNA(VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!B2:C95,2,0),VLOOKUP(M3,'Sponsor List Ref'!$F$2:$G$6,2,0)))

Upvote 0
Also this quote implies that if M3 is blank that you want to use O3 in your vlookup.

“Some cases both M and O column is empty in which case, There's nothing to LOOKUP.”
Do you only ever want to use M3 in the vlookup ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back