Importing Txt data into Table does not work. It gives Num error etc

pedie

Hi, I'm trying to import and link txt data that we recieve weekly...
However when importing Txt data into Table it is linked sucessfuly however the data in the table shows errors...
I'm going crazy at the moment :) trying to deal with it.
'm using delimited, tab and finish.
data type, and view in the wizard looks perfect however after linking if i open the table and check most of the data are showing error instead if numbers...text data are reflecting perfectly ok
Please advice what should i do.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Are you trying to Import data from a text file or Link to a text file?

Upvote 0
Hi Xen, sorry went to sleep early and couldnt reply earlier....
I'm trying to import and keep the table linked to text file source.
However linking is not required, if the data can be imported in correct format that should be good.

Upvote 0
It's too hard to say without knowing what your data in the text file is like. I think a sample is needed if you can post or describe the data (it's probably something to do with the way this data is structured - in particular, if data is not consistent (numbers and text in the same columns), or if there are problems with the delimiter characters (such as tab characters in fields in a a tab-delimited file).

ξ

Upvote 0
I will have to build similiar data type for it then...
or maybe ican reach out to the provider and ask for data in other formats like csv, excel etc?
Which data conversion/linkage/importing is more friendly to access...? for example text, xml, excel etc

Upvote 0
Delimited text is usually very friendly to Access, as long as it is consistently structured (data types aren't mixed). XML is good too but if you haven't used it before it can be a little strange at first. I have found importing from Excel works very well too (but it's the same story - don't mix data types, don't have numbers and text in the same column, there must be a clean data table with nothing above or below it - just data plain and simple). Personally I avoid linking to Excel or to text (so I would prefer importing in these cases).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back