increment a varialbe by 1

smakatura

Board Regular
background: I have files that have file names 06-01-11, 06-02-11....ie dates.

I am trying to return file names going in date order (part of a larger thing but this is the piece I have having issues with). for now, I am just trying to get a message box to show me the proper file name (one after the other). once that works I can build it into my larger macro

I am using
HTML:
Dim filelocation As String
Dim rptmonth As String
Dim rptday As String
Dim rptyear As String

filelocation = "C:\Users\smakatura\Documents\call report\prep documents\test\" & rptmonth & "-" & rptday & "-" & rptyear

rptmonth = "06"
rptday = "01"
rptyear = "11"

Do Until rptday = 3
    MsgBox (filelocation)
    rptday = rptday + 1
Loop

when i try to put 01 instead of "01", it keeps reverting to just 1, but I need it to say 01 (that is until the number is greater than or equal to 10

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
You have to recalculate the filelocation variable within the loop..

Code:
Do Until rptday = 3
    filelocation = "C:\Users\smakatura\Documents\call report\prep documents\test\" & rptmonth & "-" & rptday & "-" & rptyear
    MsgBox (filelocation)
    rptday = rptday + 1
Loop

Upvote 0
First I would use a date format, and then a For Next loop (a type of loop that is designed to increment)

Code:
Sub test()
Dim startdate As Date
Dim rptday As Long
startdate = #6/1/2011#

For rptday = 0 To 2
    filelocation = "C:\Users\smakatura\Documents\call report\prep documents\test\" & Format(startdate + rptday, "mm-dd-yy")
    MsgBox filelocation
Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
jonmo1's solution worked for my needs.

the reason I could not do a date formula is bc it is a file folder, so the 'date' is 06-02-11 not 06\02\11. but good idea, thanks

Upvote 0
jonmo1's solution worked for my needs.

the reason I could not do a date formula is bc it is a file folder, so the 'date' is 06-02-11 not 06\02\11. but good idea, thanks

That is why Hotpepper used the format function, to return the date using - instead of \

Format(startdate + rptday, "mm-dd-yy")

Upvote 0
ahh, since I already had rptmonth, rpt date and rpt year as variables, I just used the following loop after the increment to get the proper file name.

HTML:
If rptday < 10 Then
             fullfilelocation = "C:\Users\smakatura\Documents\call report\prep documents\test\" & foldername & "\" & rptmonth & "-0" & rptday & "-" & rptyear
             Else: fullfilelocation = "C:\Users\smakatura\Documents\call report\prep documents\test\" & foldername & "\" & rptmonth & "-" & rptday & "-" & rptyear
        End If

basically just added the 0 in the right place if the rpt day was less than 10 (I acually did the previous part up to 31 instead of 3)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back