Increment value in a cell but resets value after a max value

jameswhite4684

I have date that always increments everymonth by 1 and max number 12, as there are 12 months in a year. Sometimes this number will be max of 6. So, I am trying to figure a formula out that would, on the first of each month increase that number by 1, and on the 13th month the number will go back to 1.

If possible, I would need it to increase another cell by 1 letter. Say value A > B after 12.

A1 Contains Letter Values, B1 Contains Number Values

Example:

March - Cell A1 = N, B1 = 11 Then April comes
April - Cell A1 = N, B1 = 12 Then May comes
May - Cell A1 = O, B1 = 1

I hope this example helps. Some times I need the max number to rotate is 3 months or 6 months.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
does this give you what you are after

Cell A1 = N
Cell b1 = 11

in A2 use
Code:
=IF(IF(B2<=12,CHAR(CODE(A1)+1),A1)="[","A",IF(B2<=12,CHAR(CODE(A1)+1),A1))

in B2 use
Code:
=IF(B1<12,B1+1,1)

fill both down

Upvote 0
oops.. jus re-read your request.

in A2 use this instead

Code:
=IF(IF(AND(B2<=12,B2-B1=1),A1,CHAR(CODE(A1)+1))="[","A",IF(AND(B2<=12,B2-B1=1),A1,CHAR(CODE(A1)+1)))

B2 is still same as indicated above

Upvote 0
danzon, Thank you for your help, after rereading my post, I didnt explain very well, sorry.

Anyhow, I will revise it.

A1 = Letter, B1= Number (1 - 12), C1= Date
----------------------------------------------------------------
B, 11, 1-Feb-15 is in the current cells. For next month, I would update C1 date to 1-Mar-15 manually as I have to do this abouth the 20th of each month. So when I enter new month in C1, Cell value in A1 will remain the same (B), but Cell value in B1 = 12. Then when 1-Apr-15 comes around and I enter that date manually, A1 cell value becomes "C", B1 value becomes "1".

I would not be doing a fill down. as it may require a slightly different formula for each item. Instead of up to 12 values only up to 6 values and the the A1 letter would increment.

Upvote 0
VBA coding will be okay also, and if I could have the date to update on the 20th of every month to the 1st of the next month, that would be fantastic,

Upvote 0
my formulas are producing exactly that result...

if you don't want it to always be increments of 12 then replace the places in the formula where it references 12... maybe use a cell reference in the same row instead where you can manually enter 3 or 6 etc

so that this formula
=IF(B1<12,B1+1,1)

might be replaced with this formula instead =IF(B1 < F1,B1+1,1)

where in F1 you would manually type 6

same would have to be done to the other formula

2ugnhg6.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I see it works, but I need it to be maintain in the same cell, not filled down. I have attached a image, look at it as if the values are always located in cells A1, B1, and C1.

2v3ljps.png

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
As you see, Changing the date to the 1st of next month would increment the segment, and once the segment reaches after 12 the edition increments. The date plays a important role in the formula. So it seems your first two formulas will work if I can get the date to work in that also.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back