index function working correctly when I hit F9, but returns a different result

pdxexceluser

Hello,
Goal of project: I'm compiling a list of names on a separate tab from a column that only lists the names sporadically.
Problem: In the formula, the IF provides a TRUE, the row function, and consequently, the INDEX function (when I hit F9) provides the correct "name" and row number, but when I hit return, it provides the text 4 cells beneath what it should. Any thoughts? Thanks.

=IF(ROWS(F$5:F5)<=$F$2,INDEX(Details!B$1:B$39,SMALL(IF(Details!$A$1:$A$39=$F$1,ROW(Details!$A$1:$A$39)-ROW(Details!$A$1)+1),ROWS(F$5:F5))),"")

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hello,
Goal of project: I'm compiling a list of names on a separate tab from a column that only lists the names sporadically.
Problem: In the formula, the IF provides a TRUE, the row function, and consequently, the INDEX function (when I hit F9) provides the correct "name" and row number, but when I hit return, it provides the text 4 cells beneath what it should. Any thoughts? Thanks.

=IF(ROWS(F$5:F5)<=$F$2,INDEX(Details!B$1:B$39,SMALL(IF(Details!$A$1:$A$39=$F$1,ROW(Details!$A$1:$A$39)-ROW(Details!$A$1)+1),ROWS(F$5:F5))),"")
Have you entered the formula as an array?

Array formulas need to be entered using the key
combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER).
Hold down both the CTRL key and the SHIFT key
then hit ENTER.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. The Control/Shift/Enter works. I'm wondering if there is a work-around such that my drag and drop works instead of pressing C/S/E for every row? Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi. Thank you. It works. I'm wondering if you know how to get the formula to work such that I can drag and drop as opposed to pressing C-S-E for every row? Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. The Control/Shift/Enter works. I'm wondering if there is a work-around such that my drag and drop works instead of pressing C/S/E for every row? Much appreciated.

You don't need to apply control+shift+enter (CSE) for every cell. Just once in the cell from which you drag it down. However, when you edit/modify the formula, you agan need to apply CSE. To recap: Just once CSE then copy to other cells.

And, there is no viable and as effcient an alternative native formula...

Upvote 0

I'm assuming you enter the first formula in cell F5 then you copy it down the column?

If so, all you need to do is array enter the formula in cell F5. As you drag copy the formula it will automatically be entered as an array.

2:30 AM :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePlop

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back