INDEX MATCH with Circular Referencing?

MrCameronExcel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Is it not possible to use INDEX MATCH with circular referencing?

Problematically, I need the answer from one formula A to answer the first step of another formula B, which then allows provides the second step of formula A etc etc

Thanks

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Try setting 'Enable Iterative Calculation' in Options. I haven't tested it with Index/Match, but I recall using it in a similar circumstance many years ago!

HTH

1687944300554.png

Upvote 0
Try setting 'Enable Iterative Calculation' in Options. I haven't tested it with Index/Match, but I recall using it in a similar circumstance many years ago!

HTH

View attachment 94357

I tried this but the formulas all started to equal 0 even though that wasn't the correct answer. From researching this, it appears that Excel gets confused with circular referencing even when enabled, and can start returning 0 values even though it would be incorrect.

Upvote 0
I have had success with iterative calculations, but don't forget that at times more than one a solution can be valid for example sqrt(4) can be 2 or -2. I cant see your circumstances so cant comment, but I doubt that Excel is making a mistake its just that that is one of the solutions. Perhaps a way to investigate will be to use goal seek and see what that comes up with.

Sorry I cant be more help.

Upvote 0
I'm not as advanced as other users, but can Formula A be broken down into a smaller formula? For example: instead of =A+B+C (where it is relying on formula B for the value of C) could Formula A just be A+B, use that result on Formula B & then set up Formula C, using the results of Formulas A & B to get you the desired result?
Otherwise, can Formula B just be Algebraically reduced to an expression that doesn't introduce a new variable, to be used in Formula A (Say the result of Formula B is 2x+A & that equation can be substituted for C in Formula A)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back