index match with multiple criteria to create list

Bob_ipc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I find myself needing some help on a problem I am having. I am looking to get a list from my Entry tab that meets two criteria, the two criteria are the date and Project Name. I am trying to use Index Match but have not yet gotten very far. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Entry tab.png
    Entry tab.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Summary.png
    Summary.png
    52 KB · Views: 8
That still doesn't explain why @Cubist's formula in post #2 wasn't working for you. You don't need to specify the worksheet name when the formula resides on that same worksheet.
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Entry!C4:C13,(Entry!A4:A13=B2)*(Entry!B4:B13=J6),"Not found")
...should still work.
I’m not sure what the difference is, I’ll fool around with it some more tomorrow, I really appreciate your guys help! I’m always impressed how well you guys know excel! So much to learn with this program. Cheers

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
We're glad you got it working....happy to help.

Upvote 1
Hey guys, Another question... How would you change this formula to ignore blanks in Entry!C4:C13?

Upvote 0
Try
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Entry!C4:C11,(Summary!$B$2=Entry!A4:A11)*(Summary!$J$6=Entry!B4:B11)*(Entry!C4:C11<>""),"Not found")

Upvote 0
Try
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Entry!C4:C11,(Summary!$B$2=Entry!A4:A11)*(Summary!$J$6=Entry!B4:B11)*(Entry!C4:C11<>""),"Not found")
You make it seem so easy! haha works perfect! I was sort of on the right track with adding <>"" to Entry!C4:C11 but i was doing it at the beginning which did not work. Like this =FILTER(Entry!C4:C11,(Entry!C4:C11<>"")*(Summary!$B$2=Entry!A4:A11)*(Summary!$J$6=Entry!B4:B11),"Not found")

Thanks again for the Help!!

Upvote 0
A couple of finer points to add. Since the formula is being placed on the Summary worksheet, and the formula refers to cells B2 and J2 on the same Summary worksheet, you don't need to specify the worksheet name in the cell references. And regarding the most recent filtering criteria (Entry!C4:C11<>""), the order doesn't matter. All three of those filtering criteria are arrays that are being multiplied together, and multiplication doesn't depend on order...so you could place (Entry!C4:C11<>"") first. I prefer @Cubist's order...A, B, C, but that's only a personal preference. If you are entering this formula in only one place and allowing the results the "spill", then it is not essential to "lock" the cell references (the $ signs), but if the formula is to be moved, then you will probably want to preserve the referenced cell ranges by locking them. Here is what the formula would look like trimmed down without the unnecessary parts:
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Entry!C4:C13,(Entry!A4:A13=B2)*(Entry!B4:B13=J6)*(Entry!C4:C13<>""),"Not found")

Upvote 0
A couple of finer points to add. Since the formula is being placed on the Summary worksheet, and the formula refers to cells B2 and J2 on the same Summary worksheet, you don't need to specify the worksheet name in the cell references. And regarding the most recent filtering criteria (Entry!C4:C11<>""), the order doesn't matter. All three of those filtering criteria are arrays that are being multiplied together, and multiplication doesn't depend on order...so you could place (Entry!C4:C11<>"") first. I prefer @Cubist's order...A, B, C, but that's only a personal preference. If you are entering this formula in only one place and allowing the results the "spill", then it is not essential to "lock" the cell references (the $ signs), but if the formula is to be moved, then you will probably want to preserve the referenced cell ranges by locking them. Here is what the formula would look like trimmed down without the unnecessary parts:
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Entry!C4:C13,(Entry!A4:A13=B2)*(Entry!B4:B13=J6)*(Entry!C4:C13<>""),"Not found")
Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back