Intentionally referencing an empty cell

Mr_Ragweed

Board Regular
Hi and thanks in advance,
I'm working on an "If Then" issue. In laymans terms my code would read "If this range of cells is empty, then copy this other range of cells".

In my attempt to code it it reads:
If ActiveSheet.Shapes(btnAccept").Select = Click Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("I4:I13") = IsEmpty Then
ActiveSheet.Range("B1" & "N4:N13").Select
Selection.Copy
yadda yadda yadda

My problem is with the "IsEmpty". Apparently thats not the right nomenclature. I've tried "Empty", "Blank", and "IsBlank" as well - all to no avail. How do I reference/what do i call an empty cell?

Thanks again.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi Mr_Ragweed,

Here's one way to test if the range is empty...
Code:
Sub Test()
 If Application.CountA(Range("i4:i13")) = 0 Then
   MsgBox "Range is empty"
   '---your copy code
   '....
 Else
   MsgBox "Range is not empty"
 End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Jerry,
I discovered a work around as there is 1 cell in the range that will be populated and i just reference that cell instead of the range. Most of my data lengths are variable and this particular range happens to be a fixed length so it worked.

Thanks again!

Just curious though as i may need it in the future. how do a reference a cell or range that i KNOW is empty? And being empty is the condition i need to continue the "If Then Else" statement....

Upvote 0
Just curious though as i may need it in the future. how do a reference a cell or range that i KNOW is empty? And being empty is the condition i need to continue the "If Then Else" statement....

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly. The reference to a cell or range would be the same expression whether or not the cell is empty.

For example, you could change the fill color of a range of cells like this (regardless of whether the range is empty).

Code:
Range("A4:A13").Interior.Color=vbYellow

Please clarify if I misunderstood your question.

Upvote 0
Jerry, Again many thanks for your assistance on this and other questions i've had.
I can reference the range or cell with no issue i'm just getting hung up on the condition. What is the syntax for "If condition = empty, Then..."
(Again, i'm beyond this point of the project. I'm just asking now for my own edification if you have the time.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hideto94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back