iPhone 4 or HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S

I find it funny that where once Apple were the darling of the Microsoft hater now things have gone practically full circle.

It's only a matter of time before the French are attacking Apple stores in protest at their attempts at global domination ;)

Dom

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
It's interesting that those in favour of the HTC say its size is its only downfall. I've just compared one to my iPhone and it's a little longer, a little bit narrower and to be honest, not really that much different.

I have to take with a pinch of salt the couple of comments of "my wife has X and she thinks it's great". Only because when I was talking to my wife about this last night, she said that she wanted a Blackberry. I asked her which one and she said "a black one".

I think I'm swaying towards the HTC. But I'd not considered buying it outright and going for a SIM only deal. I don't want to take a 2 year contract -that's way too long for any phone to survive - so I have to do a bit of maths, now.

expiry said:
I don't want to take a 2 year contract -that's way too long for any phone to survive

I've had my Motorola Razr for about 7 years I think ... I can accept one call between charges but that's still one more than I normally get :(

I've wanted to change my phone for a while but I have little interest in anything other than being able to get email ... there's so much choice thesedays (and I'm sooo out of touch) I honestly don't know where to start. The prices for the iPhone are way too high for me... I might just go for an old fashioned blackberry.

I also live in deepest Suffolk which means I can only get coverage at the very end of the garden or in the field opposite (true) - as such the reception debate is an age old problem regardless of handset, network

I have to take with a pinch of salt the couple of comments of "my wife has X and she thinks it's great". Only because when I was talking to my wife about this last night, she said that she wanted a Blackberry. I asked her which one and she said "a black one".

Sorry, should have been clearer. My wife uses her Droid X for texting, social networking, emailing, light internet surfing, taking pictures, and as a phone. the Droid X meets all of those needs, was intuitive for her to learn, and has a lot of other bells and whistles that she's just starting to get involved in (scanning UPC symbols and getting information on the product is a pretty cool app).

She likes the large screen (she doesn't care so much about the screen resolution), typing is a lot better than what she's experienced on the IPhone or even a blackberry for that matter (due to the small-ish keyboard on her blackberry). The 8 megapixel camera works just fine if you take regular pictures on it. It's not the best for low or high light pictures but for "hey, I need to get a picture of that", the camera works just fine. Oh yeah, the google maps based GPS is awesome as well (and free).

Buying it outright is a bit expensive, at least here in the US ($599), not sure about pricing outside of the US.

I've had my Motorola Razr for about 7 years I think ... I can accept one call between charges but that's still one more than I normally get :(

I've wanted to change my phone for a while but I have little interest in anything other than being able to get email ... there's so much choice thesedays (and I'm sooo out of touch) I honestly don't know where to start. The prices for the iPhone are way too high for me... I might just go for an old fashioned blackberry.

I also live in deepest Suffolk which means I can only get coverage at the very end of the garden or in the field opposite (true) - as such the reception debate is an age old problem regardless of handset, network

A man after my own heart. I have a Samsung that my daughter had eons ago, she handed it down to my wife, who handed it down to me. I never turn it on except when I want to, I don't want to be interrupted all day long, I have a living to make (I guess it's different from corporate slaves, they need some stimulation).

I was listening to a radio programme on iPhone 4 launch day, I could not believe that the idiots were paying £500-600 for a bloody phone! 'ere be madness!

My boss actually signed us up for i-Phone 4's yesterday.

I met him at a local mall in San Jose (I hate malls) and we walked by the Apple store - there was no way I was going in there - it was a zoo. He said that there was a 400 person waiting list for the i-Phone. So we walked down to the AT&T store and signed up on the spot and they'll be shipped directly to us within a few days. What a racket.

Frankly I could care less after having had both Treo's and Blackberry's - It's just a **** phone. Unless it can cook me a steak and bring me a beer it's no more special than any other.

I've got a Samsung Omnia and when I upgrade to a Speaking Tube I'll be seeing how well the Omnia functions as a cricket ball. :)

Unless it can cook me a steak and bring me a beer it's no more special than any other.

That's been a standard function on most UK mobile's for a few years now. They also walk the dog, talk to the missus when football's on and mow the lawn! ;)

Dom

I really like my Motorola Droid (not X...got mine before the X came out.) I'm replying to this thread on it right now. It's my first smartphone...had the last phone 5 years. I use it to watch the lectures for my online classes, email, GPS, timer, text/chat, helping my dad catalog his books using the barcode scanner and database, camera, video camera, and occasionally as a phone. Lots of great apps, lots of not-so-great apps. Expecting froyo/flash within a month or 2, but not holding my breath :)
Don't know what's available outside the US though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back