IRR calculation with a Terminal Value

jkaemmerer

Is there a way to work around the inherent circular reference when using the IRR function on a set of cash flows that ultimately ends up in a terminal value calculation? The terminal value is calculated by taking the cash flow from the final year and dividing it by the discount rate less the terminal growth rate. Therefore since the IRR function includes the undiscounted terminal value in its calculation, I believe there is a circular reference as a result of it trying to derive a figure that is used within its calculation.

As an example, if I have undiscounted cash flows as follows:

Yr 1 =(2,164.03)
Yr 2 =(5,313.67)
Yr 3 =(8,450.55)
Yr 4 =(5,599.44)
Yr 5 =7,102.65
Yr 6 =7,583.27
Yr 7 =7,569.36
Yr 8 =7,555.03
Yr 9 =9,147.27
Yr 10 =9,132.07
TV* =76,100.58

<tbody>
</tbody>

*TV = ((9,132.07/(15%-3%))

Then when I run an IRR formula on them I get 31.6% (I do recognize that IRR function is seeing the TV as a YR 11 cash flow instead of a YR 10 cash flow as would be appropriate, but I was hoping it wouldn't be too material). Then when I run an NPV formula on the undiscounted cash flows and use Goal Seek to find the Discount Rate that makes the NPV = 0, I get 28.0% (which I believe to be correct).

So assuming I'm not mistaken about the correct IRR, is there anything I can do to work around the IRR formula issues and not have to run Goal Seek all the time? Thanks for the feedback.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I have exactly the same issue - the IRR function, when including a TV, is returning an incorrect % value
Like you I would rather avoid including a goal seek macro - and I confess i don't understand why the TV (which is a representation of DCF in perpetuity) would throw the excel function off - it's basically just a large positive cashflow at the end of the analysis period :confused:

Any ideas out there - I really don't want to try and go through MS :eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back