IRR (or not) question - Need math understanding! :)

krazykaj

Board Regular
Hi all,

I don’t know whether I have confused myself, so seeking the help of people that actually understand math! ;)
I am trying to set up some calculations in excel surrounding an Internal Rate of Return (IRR) (or the XIRR formula in excel). Or, I think I need an IRR calculation to solve a question....

The question is in relation to calculating returns of an investment share portfolio and calculating performance fees.
The benchmark out-performance calculation is fine and I am using a Time Weighted Return (TWR); but there is a technicality/criteria that needs to be met by the portfolio for any performance fees to be allowable...... and I am getting confused between two statements and if they mean the same thing or not.

Basically, I had this (first) statement made to a client (the way I think it should be done):

“If at the end of any Performance Period the value of your portfolio is lower than your base invested amount, no performance fee shall be payable.
The base invested amount will be your initial investment amount if there have been no contributions or withdrawals. The value of your portfolio for a period must be above this initial investment amount or no performance fee shall be payable. If there have been any contributions or withdrawals at any time, an Internal Rate of Return (IRR) for your portfolio from inception will be used to determine if performance fees shall be payable, where a negative IRR will mean no performance fee shall be payable”

But then, somebody looked over the above statement and said that it was way too complicated and that the next statement will give you the exact same outcome:

“If at the end of any Performance Period the value of your portfolio is lower than the total value of your contributions less the total value of your withdrawals no performance fee shall be payable.”

So - are those two statements the same? Is using an IRR making things way over complicated????

Basically the issue comes, as I understand it, when there has been money put in and taken out AND there actually has been investment performance. I don't want to screw the portfolio manager nor do i want to make things unfair for the client.

Basically the client should not be charged any performance fee (even if there is out-performance over a benchmark e.g. portfolio goes down, but benchmark goes down a lot more), there can be no performance fees charged if the clients portfolio is going backwards or is negative to what they have invested.

Obviously if they have only put in initial capital, then that is easy as whatever their starting portfolio value was, that is the minimum value allowable for the portfolio to be at that will allow any performance fee .…. But how do you determine if their portfolio is going backwards or not if they have put money in, taken money out etc.

Hope that makes sense!

Thank you for any insight and help
Kindest Regards
Kaj

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I am no finance person, but to me the two statements are not equal. The second one is a simple sum: BI=Sum(contributions)-Sum(withdrawals)
The first one corrects the contributions & withdrawals for the time they have been in the pot. Whether that is too complicated is beside the point, which one is the one that yo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back