Is FREQUENCY the formula I should use?

Bodsy

This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct way to do things!

I have a table of data with 2 columns.

Column 1 contains order numbers.

Column 2 contains a time stamp (the hour in which the order number occurred).

I want to make a count of the number of distinct orders that happened in each hour.

Normally a Countif would work, however the data has been produced in such a way that if an order has three items in it, there are three occurrences of the Order number.

Column A ____ Column B
1001 _________ 9
1001 _________ 9
1001 _________ 9
1002 _________ 9
1003 _________ 10
1004 _________ 11
1004 _________ 11
1004 _________ 11
1005 _________ 11

The result I would be looking for is:

Time _____ Count of Order Numbers
9 _________ 2
10 _________ 1
11 _________ 2

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I haven't tried the Match route, but Mike Girvin's formula works fine as is. Does the Match route allow even more conditions to be applied?

Bodsy

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi Mike,

I am by no means an expert about these frequency functions. Thanks for your clarfication and conclusions on this. I am still figuring out the nuances of this very useful function. I have learned so much from your videos.
Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0
I am really not an expert either, just having fun with Excel. But if you want to be sickened by 50 minutes of non-stop FREQUENCY function minutia, try that video. The video is just a compilation of the things I teach in my statistics class and the things I have learned from Excel Gurus like Aladin and Domenic and pgc01 and other FREQUENCY masters!

Upvote 0
Mr Girvin

Despite the likelihood of looking stupid, could you enlighten me on the section of the formula Sum(--(~)>0))?

What is the SUM doing? I kind of understand the Frequency section, but when the time is 9, the answer becomes 3 without this part, so what happens in this section to reduce that number from 3 to 2?

What does "--" do specifically?
Bodsy

Upvote 0
The FREQUENCY delivers a count for each unique item, like this for example:

{0,3,0,1}

The > converts the numbers to TRUE or FALSE:

{0,3,0,1}>0 becomes {FALSE,TRUE,FALSE,TRUE}

The -- converts TRUE to 1 and FALSE to 0:

--{FALSE,TRUE,FALSE,TRUE} becomes {0,1,0,1}

The SUM adds:

=SUM({0,1,0,1}) becomes 2

The video goes into even more detail, and it has pictures to match the words.

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi Mike Girvin,

Can you help me on this variation of the frequency function. What are the formulas to find the sum(quantity) of unique combinations of cells. Also how would you display these combinations? Please refer to my example.
Thanks,
Mike Szczesny

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 11pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 74px"><COL style="WIDTH: 74px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">A</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">B</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">C</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">D</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">E</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">1</TD><TD>Desired result : 3 unique combinations</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">2</TD><TD>a</TD><TD>b </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">3</TD><TD>a</TD><TD>b </TD><TD> </TD><TD>a</TD><TD>b</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">4</TD><TD>a</TD><TD>b </TD><TD> </TD><TD>a</TD><TD>c</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">5</TD><TD>a</TD><TD>c </TD><TD> </TD><TD>a</TD><TD>d</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">6</TD><TD>a</TD><TD>b </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">7</TD><TD>a</TD><TD>d </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 3px dotted; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 3px dotted">8</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Upvote 0
Maybe this:

Here is the full set of data and formulas (formulas in green cells):
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGH
1Column1Column22 Column Unique CountExtract Unique Based On 2 Columns
2ab3ab
3abac
4abad
5ac..
6ab..
7ad..

Enter this with Ctrl + Shift + Enter (not just Enter) into cell D2:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$7&$B$2:$B$7<>"",MATCH("~"&$A$2:$A$7&$B$2:$B$7,$A$2:$A$7&$B$2:$B$7&"",0)),ROW($A$2:$A$7)-ROW($A$2)+1),1))

Enter this with Ctrl + Shift + Enter (not just Enter) into cell F2 and copy to the right and down:

=IF(ROWS(F$2:F2)>$D$2,"",INDEX(A$2:A$7,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$7&$B$2:$B$7<>"",MATCH("~"&$A$2:$A$7&$B$2:$B$7,$A$2:$A$7&$B$2:$B$7&"",0)),ROW($A$2:$A$7)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROW($A$2:$A$7)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS(F$2:F2))))

Does that work?

Upvote 0
Hi Mike,
That's exactly what I needed. It makes perfect sense as a variation of the frequency function . I was thinking along the lines of that, but was not yet fully there on this adaptation. Thanks for clearing it for me
Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cryss1988

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back