Is it Possible for a Drop Down Menu to have Default Selections?

rdsmit1

Board Regular
I have a drop down menu created thru data>validation menu. Does anyone know is there a way to make that drop down default to select the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... thing from the list?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Ryan,

I'm not aware of a simple way to do that. When you click the dropdown arrow, Excel is going to check the validation list...if the value is found it will highlight it, if it isn't found it won't highlight anything.

A somewhat problematic way to force what you describe would be to use a Worksheet Selection_Change event. When the cell is clicked, the VBA code could change the current value of the cell to the 1st, 2nd or 3rd item on the validation list.

I wouldn't recommend this though....most users won't expect a value to change when they click on a cell.

Using an combobox would be better if it is really important to have the feature you describe.

Upvote 0
I typically use a formula to get a default value to appear in a cell, even if the cell also has a DV list to allow quick access to other options.

Just turn off the ERROR ALERTS in your DV settings long enough to enter a formula, something like this to watch for column A to start a row of data, so if A2 had a value, this formula in B2 or C2 or anywhere on the row:

=IF(A2="", "", "Apple")

Once you have the formula installed, you can turn back on the error alerts if you want.

Keep in mind the formula is there and working until someone uses the DV list to make a selection, after that the formula is gone for that row, which is probably fine.

Upvote 0
Jerry,

Your solution worked perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieDP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back