Is it possible to Change Primary Key from Input to Autonumber?

BrianThompsonTenTen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a large table that was created while manually entering a [ClientID] which was used as the PrimaryKey. my question is can I keep the "old" [ClientID] and AutoNumber generate [ClientID] moving forward? From what I understand the answer is no, if this is true is there a workaround,

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
from what I recall you can create a new table with the autonumber key, then insert the records into it (keeping existing values) ... if there are no duplicate keys of course. Naturally you'd have to change the table name temporarily during the transition so you don't have two tables with the same name.

Upvote 0
Changing a Primary Key is never something to take lightly.
If your current table is involved in multiple forms, queries, procedures, then your probability of problems is high.
If, however, you are just starting and this is your only table, or table that is not yet related to any others, you could do something along this logic.
As xenou suggested,
-create a new table with an autonumber pk., suggest you name it something like ClientPK (add any other fields not in your current table that you feel are needed, if any)
-if the manually entered data is meaningful to you, you could add a field to the new table eg OldClientId or similar and when you dd existing records to your new table, put the original ClientId in that field( then you'll have some history for existing records)
-use an INSERT query to add existing records to the new table.

More info from M$oft.

There may be other considerations if we knew more about your specific project and the reason for considering the PK change.
Good luck with your project.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back