Primary Key versus Foreign Key

gshock

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been reading up on Normalization thanks to @Micron and the link to Roger's Access Blog: What Is Normalization, Part I

In this Blog about Primary Keys, he refers to Natural Keys and Surrogate Keys. I kind of understand this concept, but he doesn't give any examples that I can see implemented in Access of SQL, so I'm not sure that I understood the explanation fully. Natural Keys make sense to me because it makes use of a field that already exists. In my case, I'm building a database for Contacts and Opportunities, kind of like a Sales Funnel. None of my data inherently has a Natural Key, so I will be using a Surrogate Key - an artificially created number (Integer, Autonumber) - makes perfect sense. I now understand that I could create a Contact Entry for a person: PersonFirstName, PersonLastName, with the ContactID of "1", and then create another duplicate record for the same person with a ContactID of 10, for example. The database doesn't know that these are the same. Makes sense. That's one thing I want to avoid in my database design. So Roger says that one way to avoid that is by using an Index to "create a unique index on those fields that would otherwise create a natural key". I'm not sure what fields he's talking about. If I created the ContactID, that's my Surrogate Key, a.k.a. Primary Key. Why would the other fields constitute a Natural Key? I suppose, if I used his example, I could use FirstName/MiddleName/LastName to create a Natural Key/Primary Key, but then I still have the same duplication issue.

This is where Indexing comes in, as I'm learning.
I understand the library cataloging reference that he uses to explain an Index, and I see how to create the Index. But I don't understand how to apply that to the Surrogate Key where duplicates are possible. Using the example above, suppose I mistakenly entered the same contact two different times so that I have two unique ContactIDs, but duplicate information in all the fields. How would I Index those fields to maintain uniqueness?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

If I understand correctly, you are about to create a database from a spreadsheet(s). You are correct to study/familiarize yourself with Normalization as micron suggested.
Note that spreadsheets are rarely normalized.

For starters- what is the spreadsheet about? What is/are the main entities (things of interest)?
What is it that relates these main entities?
For example/analogy: Students take Courses, Customers make Orders, Orders have LineItems, LineItems refer to Products...

I'm going to suggest this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary that will take you less than 1 hour to complete. You will experience Normalization by working through the tutorial. The tutorial has problem definition and steps as well as a solution. It is a zipped word file(doc) to be downloaded. Follow the instructions in the zip. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
@jackd I get this when I try and go there?
False positive?

1696665504269.png

Upvote 0
Paul,

I have no problems with the link or file. Downloads fine for me--no warnings. I always do an unblock on every zip file.
I made a gif of my procedure to download the link in question, but it is too large for this forum.

Upvote 0
@jackd I get this when I try and go there?
False positive?

View attachment 99901
I didn't get the same issue, but I wasn't able to open the link. I use the Brave browser and have my security settings pretty tight. I want to Roger's page directly and navigated to the tutorials that way.
Go here (Welcome To Roger's Access Library) first, and then the Tutorials are in the middle of the page. He has links for the Zip files (Database Design), which I haven't gotten to yet. I'm still reading...

@jackd - Thank you immensely for sharing this link. This is a HUGE help.

Upvote 0
There are several links to a variety of articles/topics in my Database Planning and Design page that may be useful to you. You'll notice a few of the Roger's Access tutorials on the page.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back