Is it possible to connecting PowerPivot data from another Excel file?

toblju

Hi, I wonder if it is possible to connecting PowerPivot data from another Excel file? I have a file DATA.xlsx which contains loads of PowerPivot data. Then I have a file for reporting (REPORT.xlsx). In this file I would like to grab values from the PowerPivot model in DATA.xlsx with using cube Formulas. Is that possible? How do I name the Connection in the cube formula?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Short Answer - No! To use a an external workbook as a PowerPivot data source it must be loaded to Sharepoint.

Long Answer - I am not aware of a way that currently exists that would allow you to do it but in theory it must be possible. Tableau is able to use a local PowerPivot file as a data source so I guess that at some point somebody will build an add-in or a connection method that allows you to do it direct into an external workbook. Makes sense that you can not do it out of the box as MS wants to sell Sharepoint licences.

Jacob

Upvote 0
Hi Jacob. I had the same question, but have actually subscribed to Small Business Pro Plus office 2013 which I think gives me sharepoint access. So is there someway to take an exisitng powerpivot workbook, publish it to sharepoint and then use the data in it to feed a variety of different workbooks? i woudl ike to have seperate workbooks ofr marketing and financial reporting.

Upvote 0
Thanks Miguel for your answer and link to a nice article.

This still needs SharePoint Server Enterprise edtion I suppose?

Is there any way to do it with SharePoint Foundation or direct from PowerPivot on desktop?

Tobias

Upvote 0
Thanks Miguel for your answer and link to a nice article.

This still needs SharePoint Server Enterprise edtion I suppose?

Is there any way to do it with SharePoint Foundation or direct from PowerPivot on desktop?

Tobias

Upvote 0
No, I have one computer with desktop PowerPivot and access to one with Sharepoint Enterprise (where I can do Everything I want :)). But many companies do not have SharePoint Ent.
/Tobias

Upvote 0
Hi, I wonder if it is possible to connecting PowerPivot data from another Excel file? I have a file DATA.xlsx which contains loads of PowerPivot data. Then I have a file for reporting (REPORT.xlsx). In this file I would like to grab values from the PowerPivot model in DATA.xlsx with using cube Formulas. Is that possible? How do I name the Connection in the cube formula?

I may be thinking a little to simplistically here, but if you don't need the data to be linked, you can simply copy and paste the data from one Excel workbook into the PowerPivot window of the other.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbito

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back