Is it possible to create an excel sheet where only I can read it but others can add to it

Stacker

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I often have to get people’s names and other personal information for work but from different departments. I was wondering, is it possible to create an excel sheet where people can copy and paste rows of data to the file but are unable to read anything outside of the headings unless they have the password? I am hoping that a rigid template will not only help in data collection but also with regards to privacy since people will not be able to see people’s info from other departments unless they have a password.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
If you have sensitive data then Excel is not a platform to store it less so, in a workbook that others can share. Security is weak and any one with a good understanding of Excel can unlock a workbook.

If you need to provide ability for users to submit data centrally then one workaround you could consider is to provide them with a macro enabled template that writes its the data to common workbook (database) on your corporate network.
The workbook can be password protected to open it to provide a level of security. You as Admin can then extract the data from it to you master workbook that is on another drive which contains the sensitive data and only you have access to.

Its a bit convoluted but at should provide a barrier against unauthorised users accessing sensitive data.

Dave

Upvote 0
The data is not even encrypted when sent to me. I was thinking if either (trying to) use VBA to do something like this.

Input box: what is your name?

Drop down menu: select their department

Then people will copy and paste their names, department, date and result into a certain template.

Save and close.

Upvote 0
Its just a suggestion to give you ideas of an approach that negates need for users to have access to a workbook that contains sensitive data but really only you can determine if idea would work or not.

Others here may be able to offer alternative suggestions.

Dave

Upvote 0
It’s not ultra sensitive. Like I could use power query have them save the files in a certain network location but I think this way might be better.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back