Is it possible to have excel automatically put rows of data below specific cells?

iuseexcelatwork

I have to keep an excel sheet updated with work related data. For example I have to type a code, lets say 123, into the cell 1B. If I type that code into 1B, then the cells below the code have to always have an orange background and certain numbers in them. Can I somehow automate this? Just like in the example below, whenever I type 123 I want the cells beneath 123 to look as in the example. There are hundreds of similar code batches. I type 3421 and beneath 3421 will always be certain batch of codes. Is that possible? I apologize if my explanation is in un-adequate.

m
n
t
b

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Yes it is.
But much more information will be needed.

Upvote 0
There are hundreds of similar code batches. I type 3421 and beneath 3421 will always be certain batch of codes.

iuseexcelatwork,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Can we have another screenshot of what the results for 3421 should look like?

Upvote 0
iuseexcelatwork,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Can we have another screenshot of what the results for 3421 should look like?

Codes.png

It should look something like this. If you could teach me how to do it, that would be great.

Upvote 0
iuseexcelatwork,

You are posting a picture. This means that if this was a problem where one needed to use your data, anyone trying to help you would have to enter the data manually. That makes no sense and I doubt that you would get an answer.

I would prefer to have a screenshot of the raw data, and, a screenshot of what the results should look like (manually formatted my you).

See reply #2 at the next link, if you want to show small screenshots, of the raw data, and, what the results should look like.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html#post2507729

Or, you can post your workbook/worksheets to the following free site (sensitive data changed), mark the workbook for sharing, and, provide us with a link to your workbook:

https://dropbox.com

If you are not able to provide the above, then:

Click on the Reply to Thread button, and just put the word BUMP in the thread. Then, click on the Post Quick Reply button, and someone else will assist you.

Upvote 0
iuseexcelatwork,

You are posting a picture. This means that if this was a problem where one needed to use your data, anyone trying to help you would have to enter the data manually. That makes no sense and I doubt that you would get an answer.

I would prefer to have a screenshot of the raw data, and, a screenshot of what the results should look like (manually formatted my you).

See reply #2 at the next link, if you want to show small screenshots, of the raw data, and, what the results should look like.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html#post2507729

Or, you can post your workbook/worksheets to the following free site (sensitive data changed), mark the workbook for sharing, and, provide us with a link to your workbook:

https://dropbox.com

If you are not able to provide the above, then:

Click on the Reply to Thread button, and just put the word BUMP in the thread. Then, click on the Post Quick Reply button, and someone else will assist you.

I was asked to provide a screenshot, isn't that a screen shot? It is a screenshot.

Anyway, which numbers are used is irrelevant. I'd like to know the principle.

Whenever I type 123 in the b column on any row of my choosing :

Like this:

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want it to insert rows 2-4 automatically because they will always be the same whenever I have to type 123. Like in the example below:

i
u
h
j

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Well, If we're talking about principles - something for starters:
- I would keep column B only for the 123 etc. that you want to enter as code - meaning I would keep the orange sub-lines contents to the right of column B
- All codes with related sub-data should be entered somewhere where Excel can reach them - e.g. in another sheet
- For the sheet on which codes will be entered:
Under some conditions and if you're careful you could go with some tricky formatting and formula w/o VBA
With VBA:
Use Worksheet_Change event to activate when you change a cell; Check if the cell is in column B; Check if Code entered is Valid or existing;Transfer subdata from other sheet;

Upvote 0
I want it to insert rows 2-4 automatically because they will always be the same whenever I have to type 123. Like in the example below:

iuseexcelatwork,

Excel 2007
BCD
22222m
33333n
44444t
51111b
1034535i454
1164554u343
1245645h345
1334535j345
Sheet1

Per your examples, if you type into cell B1, 123, you will get one set of results?????

Per your examples, if you type into cell B9, 123, you will get a different set of results?????

I do not have a clue how to solve your request.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
iuseexcelatwork,

Excel 2007
B
C
D
m
n
t
b
i
u
h
j

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Per your examples, if you type into cell B1, 123, you will get one set of results?????

Per your examples, if you type into cell B9, 123, you will get a different set of results?????

I do not have a clue how to solve your request.

The code (123) always goes into a cell in the B column, and one code has always one set of data paired with it. For example 123 will always be paired with the same data set. Another code(for example 456) will be paired with another data set. So each code will represent a data set. How about we use words for data sets? To make things clearer.

A
B
C
D
watermelon
a
4pcs
chicken
b
5pcs
orange
c
6pcs

<tbody>
</tbody>

The goal is to type or paste 123 in a cell in the B column and have watermelon, chicken, orange appear below it, as seen in the example above.

A
B
C
D
cucumber
c
1pcs
potato
b
2pcs
meme
a
3pcs

<tbody>
</tbody>

For another number, for example 456, the data set would be cucumber, potato, meme. So 123 will always be watermelon, chicken, orange. 456 will always be cucumber, potato, meme. Is it somehow possible for it to autofill the data for me in columns B,C,D if I just type 123 in 1B .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjet

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back