Is it possible to Run a certain macro by the activehseets tab name?

zone709

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I want to know if I can run certain macro if the tab name lets say is "data" or "data2()

So if my active sheet I am using the tabs name can be either "data" or "data2" right.

1st macro is if the first tab name is "Data" then it runs this macro

Sub MacroData ()

If the next time I open the sheet and the first tab name is called "Data2" then it would run

Sub MacroData2 ()

So basically I run the macro right it would look at the tab name. Which would be "data" or "data2" then it would choose what macro to run. Is this possible if so I can use some help.

Any help thanks.

Ok I will try this one also. One last thing I want to ask that came up. Lets say I want to run your code or this and I'm not on the activesheet. What do I change so iif I'm on tab 2 or 3 that I can run it and it will always look at the first tab.

Hmm, not sure what you are asking. If you "are not on the activesheet" then where are you??

So, as you say, "if I'm on tab 2 or 3..." then tab2 or 3 is the active sheet. Maybe try a version of this from post #4 Application.Run "Macro" & Sheets(1).Name

This may be even more confusing, but give it a try. I may be confused my own self.

Copy the codes below to the five sheet test workbook and into a standard module.

Rename Sheet1 to "Test", so now as you look at the sheets, you have five sheets named Test, Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4, HorseFeathers.
Look into the Project Explorer in the VB Editor and see that:
Sheet1 is named 'Test'
Sheet2 is named 'Sheet2'
Sheet3 is named 'Sheet3'
Sheet4 is named 'Sheet4'
Sheet5 is named 'HorseFeathers'.

Run sub My_Test from any one of the five sheets.
My_Test will call the EXCEL sheet1 (which you renamed "Test") and the EXCEL sheet3 which is named Sheet3.

You said "...to always look at the first tab." but I added the sheet3 call in there as an additional demo/info. The macro My_Test calls Excel sheets 1 & 3 regardless of the name you have on them as you look at them from the worksheet.

Howard

Code:
Sub My_Test()
Application.Run "Macro" & Sheets(1).Name
Application.Run "Macro" & Sheets(3).Name
End Sub

Sub MacroTest()
Dim nme As String
nme = ActiveSheet.Name
MsgBox "The macro named MacroTest was called from sheet " _
        & """" & nme & """" & vbCr & " and you are viewing this from that sheet." _
        & vbCr & " See sheet ""Test"" for results."
Sheets(1).Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2) = Date & " " & "called from sheet - " & " " & nme
End Sub

Sub MacroSheet3()
Dim nme As String
nme = ActiveSheet.Name
MsgBox "The macro named MacroSheet3 was called from sheet " _
        & """" & nme & """" & vbCr & " and you are viewing this from that sheet." _
        & vbCr & " See sheet ""Sheet3"" for results."
Sheets(3).Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2) = Date & " " & "called from sheet - " & " " & nme
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
hi i hope im not confusing you. I would like to stick with this casue its working fine, but I think I need to change this part below ActiveSheet.Name because I need to look for Data or Data 2 in the first tab. If I try to run this in another tab like sheets2 named "Time". Hope this helps

Code:
Sub Sheets_Macro_Call()
  Dim ws As Worksheet

With ws
    If ActiveSheet.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]One_Worksheet[/COLOR]" Then     <----- Maybe change to sheets1
        Call MacroTimeRetail

ElseIf ActiveSheet.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Other_Worksheet[/COLOR]" Then   <----- Maybe change to sheets1
        Call MacroTimeRetail2

End If
  End With

End Sub

Sub MacroTimeRetail() 'Adding Timesheet'
 Dim ActiveWBName As String
 Dim WB As Workbook
 ActiveWBName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
 ChDir "C:\Timesheets\"
 fname = Application.GetOpenFilename
 If fname <> False Then
 Set WB = Workbooks.Open(fname)
 Sheets("Data").Select
 Sheets("Data").Move Before:=Workbooks(ActiveWBName).Sheets(1)
 For Each sht In Workbooks(ActiveWBName).Sheets
 sht.Cells.Replace What:="Data", Replacement:="'Data (2)'", LookAt:=xlPart, _
 SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
 ReplaceFormat:=False
 Next sht

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Sheets("Data").Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        End If
End Sub

Sub MacroTimeRetail2() 'Adding Timesheet 2'
 Dim ActiveWBName As String
 Dim WB As Workbook
 ActiveWBName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
 ChDir "C:Timesheets\"
 fname = Application.GetOpenFilename
 If fname <> False Then
 Set WB = Workbooks.Open(fname)
 Sheets("Data").Select
 Sheets("Data").Move Before:=Workbooks(ActiveWBName).Sheets(1)
 For Each sht In Workbooks(ActiveWBName).Sheets
 sht.Cells.Replace What:="'Data (2)'", Replacement:="'Data'", LookAt:=xlPart, _
 Next sht

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Sheets("Data (2)").Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
I mean if i try to run this let's say in a tab called Time which would be second tab. It won't work because it's probably looking for data in that activesheet that i'm in called time. Appreciate all the help i really hope i didn't confuse you.

Upvote 0
I mean if i try to run this let's say in a tab called Time which would be second tab. It won't work because it's probably looking for data in that activesheet that i'm in called time. Appreciate all the help i really hope i didn't confuse you.

If you need to do stuff to the sheet named Data, you should be able to call a macro from any sheet to act upon the sheet named Data, regardless where sheet Data in in the sheet tab order.

If the macro to do the stuff to sheet Data is also required to do stuff to the activesheet, then that is okay also. The code will need to be specific to the sheet it is acting upon. There is seldom a need to actually SELECT the sheet to have the code effectively do its work on a given sheet.

And if you are going to loop through all the sheets (as it appears you do) and you want to exclude sheet Data from that loop, then that is possible also.

a non-working example...
Code:
[I][B]Sub aName_Whatever()
[/B]
[B]For each sheet in workbook

If sht.Name <> Data then 

End If

Next

With Sheets("Sheet3")
  do various stuff...etc.
End With

End Sub[/B][/I]

Howard

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you need to do stuff to the sheet named Data, you should be able to call a macro from any sheet to act upon the sheet named Data, regardless where sheet Data in in the sheet tab order.

If the macro to do the stuff to sheet Data is also required to do stuff to the activesheet, then that is okay also. The code will need to be specific to the sheet it is acting upon. There is seldom a need to actually SELECT the sheet to have the code effectively do its work on a given sheet.

And if you are going to loop through all the sheets (as it appears you do) and you want to exclude sheet Data from that loop, then that is possible also.

a non-working example...
Code:
[I][B]Sub aName_Whatever()
[/B]
[B]For each sheet in workbook

If sht.Name <> Data then 

End If

Next

With Sheets("Sheet3")
  do various stuff...etc.
End With

End Sub[/B][/I]

Howard

ok thanks for your help will look at this.

Upvote 0
Hi I tried something like this and a bunch of other stuff but get compile error.

Code:
Sub Sheets_Macro_Call()
  For Each Sheet In Workbook

If sht.Name <> Data Then
        Call MacroTimeRetail

If sht.Name <> Data(2) Then
        Call MacroTimeRetail2

End If

End Sub
<strike></strike>

Am I close?

I also tried

Code:
Sheets(1).Name

but didn't work.

Upvote 0
Hi I finally got it to work after a small thought of maybe this little thing will help. This is probably not the right way to do it, but it works when using your code. So I will stick with it.
Code:
Sub Sheets_Macro_Call()
  Dim ws As Worksheet

Worksheets(1).Select         <--- I just added this. So if I am working on another sheet I can run macro. I hope you understood what I needed now thanks'

With ws
    If ActiveSheet.Name = "Data" Then
        Call MacroTimeRetail

ElseIf ActiveSheet.Name = "Data(2)" Then
        Call MacroTimeRetail2

End If
  End With

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back