Running Data Refresh Macro, then Table Update Macro, Back-to-Back?

chasfh

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two separate macros in my book: one that refreshes 12 tabs containing CSV data that points to a source outside the book (and which itself receives updated numbers each day); and one that updates data tables in other tabs in my book that rely on these 12 CSV-data tabs to be refreshed.

The idea is to refresh the CSV tabs with the outside numbers first, then update the data tables based on the newly-refreshed CSV data.

The problem I am running into is that when I try to combine the two macros, they basically run at the same time. What I typically see when I watch the book while the macro runs is that a couple of the tabs appear to refresh; then all the tables update based on the CSV data; then, when that's done, the rest of the CSV tabs appear to get refreshed.

Consequently, when this process completes, the book contains some tables that use new numbers because they happen to point to the CSV tabs that got refreshed first, and other tables using old numbers that got updated before the remaining CSV tabs got refreshed. I am trying to combine these macros so that it refreshes all 12 CSV tabs first, before it updates any data tables on other tabs. Am I making sense?

At first I tried going into VB and adding the Refresh_Tabs macro to the Update_Tables macro, with Refresh_tabs at the top, and that didn't work.

Then I found this thread:

Which looked like it would solve my problem, but even when I followed its instructions as shown here:

Sub Update_Both()
'
' Update Macro
'
'
Call Refresh_Tabs
Call Update_Tables
End Sub

It still basically runs them at the same time, refreshing some CSV tabs, updating all the tables, and refreshing the remaining CSV tabs.

Any ideas how I can accomplish what I'm trying to here?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You could try adding a time delay to see if that helps. Start with a large delay and if that appears to work, reduce the delay in steps.

VBA Code:
Sub Update_Both()
    ' Update Macro
    Call Refresh_Tabs

Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("0:00:30") '<-- Start with something rediculously large, then reduce it via experimentation.
    DoEvents

Call Update_Tables
    DoEvents
End Sub

(Tip: For future posts , please try to use code tags like I did above when posting code. It makes your code easier to read and copy.
)

Upvote 0
You could try adding a time delay to see if that helps. Start with a large delay and if that appears to work, reduce the delay in steps.

VBA Code:
Sub Update_Both()
    ' Update Macro
    Call Refresh_Tabs

Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("0:00:30") '<-- Start with something rediculously large, then reduce it via experimentation.
    DoEvents

Call Update_Tables
    DoEvents
End Sub

(Tip: For future posts , please try to use code tags like I did above when posting code. It makes your code easier to read and copy.
)

Unfortunately, this didn't work. It paused the refresh—I guess actually the whole macro—for that period of time, then it resumed running them both simultaneously.

Upvote 0
It paused the refresh—I guess actually the whole macro—for that period of time, then it resumed running them both simultaneously.
Given the wait statement is after Call Refresh_Tabs ,there is no way it is pausing any macro code in Refresh_Tabs , and you cannot run macros simultaneously. The code in Refresh_Tabs must complete first.

Try this mod to turn off calculation and the screen while your macros run.

Excel Formula:
Sub Update_Both()
    ' Update Macro

Dim CalcState

CalcState = Application.Calculation
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Call Refresh_Tabs
    DoEvents

'Debug Msgbox
    MsgBox "Subroutine Refresh_Tabs has completed exection." & vbCr & vbCr & "Next will be the wait period" 'for debug purposes only 'for debug purposes only - remove when debugging complete
    Application.StatusBar = "Waiting...."
    Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("0:00:30") '<-- Start with something ridiculously large, then reduce it via experimentation.
    Application.StatusBar = ""

'Debug Msgbox
    MsgBox "Wait period over." & vbCr & vbCr & "About to begin Subroutine Update_Tables" 'for debug purposes only - remove when debugging complete

Call Update_Tables
    DoEvents

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.Calculation = CalcState

'Debug Msgbox
    MsgBox "Subroutine Refresh_Tabs has completed exection."

End Sub

Upvote 0
Given the wait statement is after Call Refresh_Tabs ,there is no way it is pausing any macro code in Refresh_Tabs , and you cannot run macros simultaneously. The code in Refresh_Tabs must complete first.

Try this mod to turn off calculation and the screen while your macros run.

Excel Formula:
Sub Update_Both()
    ' Update Macro

Dim CalcState

CalcState = Application.Calculation
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Call Refresh_Tabs
    DoEvents

'Debug Msgbox
    MsgBox "Subroutine Refresh_Tabs has completed exection." & vbCr & vbCr & "Next will be the wait period" 'for debug purposes only 'for debug purposes only - remove when debugging complete
    Application.StatusBar = "Waiting...."
    Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("0:00:30") '<-- Start with something ridiculously large, then reduce it via experimentation.
    Application.StatusBar = ""

'Debug Msgbox
    MsgBox "Wait period over." & vbCr & vbCr & "About to begin Subroutine Update_Tables" 'for debug purposes only - remove when debugging complete

Call Update_Tables
    DoEvents

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.Calculation = CalcState

'Debug Msgbox
    MsgBox "Subroutine Refresh_Tabs has completed exection."

End Sub
Unfortunately, this one turned all the information on my tables to "#N/A" or zeroes, and then it refreshed all the tabs at the end, not the beginning.

Anything else I can try?

Upvote 0
I think @rlv01 has more experience with this than I have but I have to ask what does "Refresh" entail, are you by any chance using Power Query ?
And if so for both the csv import and the table refresh ? Does table mean pivot or what sort of table and what is its datasource ?

Upvote 0
I think @rlv01 has more experience with this than I have but I have to ask what does "Refresh" entail, are you by any chance using Power Query ?
And if so for both the csv import and the table refresh ? Does table mean pivot or what sort of table and what is its datasource ?
I am using neither Power Query nor pivot tables. These are manual tables I have put together that draw in the data from the CSV tabs mostly via XLOOKUP.

The tabs I have in my workbook that import the data do so from CSV files I have downloaded to another folder; I went to the Data pulldown menu and selected From Text/CSV to establish those tabs, which I also called CSV tabs for the purposes of this post, and I can refresh my tabs (Data/Refresh All) once the CSV files in the other folder get updated on a daily basis. I wrote a short macro that refreshes all the tabs, and that's what I am trying to incorporate into the updates tables macro. IOW, I would rather run one macro that runs both macros back to back, rather than run two macros separately.

Upvote 0
Just to try to clarify what appears to be happening, in case all the words I am using are written in a manner that apparently serves to confuse:

I am trying to establish an ubermacro that calls two other macros and causes one macro to run first, in its entirety, and then causes the other macro to run in its entirety.

What looks to be happening is that the ubermacro is running the first macro partially, then running the second macro in its entirety, then finishing the first macro afterwards.

Upvote 0
What looks to be happening is that the ubermacro is running the first macro partially, then running the second macro in its entirety, then finishing the first macro afterwards.

But that is not what is happening, because VBA cannot spawn multiple threads to run two macros at the same time. Whatever it seems like, a macro like Update_Both
runs macro Refresh_Tabs first, and only when it is complete, does it run macro Update_Tables. This is easy enough to demonstrate with the debugger or a few mods:
VBA Code:
Sub Update_Bothx()

' Update Macro
    Dim ST As Single

ST = Timer
    Call Refresh_Tabs

Select Case MsgBox("Macro Refresh_Tabs complete. Execution time: " & Timer - ST & " seconds" & vbCr & vbCr & "Run Update_Tables?", vbYesNo Or vbQuestion, Application.Name)
        Case vbNo
            Exit Sub
    End Select

ST = Timer
    Call Update_Tables

MsgBox "Macro Update_Tables complete. Execution time: " & Timer - ST & " seconds", vbYesNo Or vbQuestion, Application.Name
End Sub

However, if you have Object or OS calls to refresh half a million querytables or data connections to external data sources, those still may be trying to complete when the macro ends, but that is not a VBA issue.

You should be able to manually assess how much time is needed for the refresh and build in a time delay to let it complete before calling the macro to update your tables.

Upvote 0
I am using neither Power Query
I went to the Data pulldown menu and selected From Text/CSV to establish those tab
Although you say you aren't using PQ the steps you took to import the data indicates you are.
If you go Data > Queries & Connections, what do you see in the pane that appears on the right hand side ?
If you do see Queries and right click and look at the properties do you see a box ticked that says Enable Background Refresh ?
You need to untick that box.

If you have a lot of queries which it sounds like you might have, the code below will change them all.
If after turning off background refresh your macro is still not completing the csv refresh step before running your second step, it may be that the bug with the query refresh identified 2017 is still there and you will need to do the additional step described in the link below where I originally got this code.

VBA Code:
Sub ChangeConnectionRefreshMode()
Dim Connection As Variant
For Each Connection In ActiveWorkbook.Connections
    Connection.OLEDBConnection.BackgroundQuery = False
Next Connection
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back