Is it possible to utilize the Min function with a dynamic range

DonEB

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a range of data which I'm trying to determine what the minimum is. I understand the basic formula =MIN(D53:AG82). My problem is that my range needs to be dynamic to account for the frequently changing parameters.

The range of D53:AG82 is the largest range I need to test and is easily tested using =MIN(D53:AG82). This is required when I'm searching for the min value involving 30 players.

My problem comes when I need to find the min value for a range that is less than the maximum.
Example:
  1. The starting point will always be D53.
  2. I can predetermine the number of players involved. In this example 8 players (this value is established in a separate worksheet called ALLWEEKS:G79)
  3. I can sort all data to place "active" players information up front (i.e., D53:K60)
I don't know how to dynamically change the AG82 down to K60 using the value contained in ALLWEEKS:G79. Is this possible?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
Don

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Sorry for my slow response... I ran into a few other issues I had to resolve before I could put your proposed solution to the test.

And... thank you... this seems to work perfectly.

Upvote 0
Hi, you could try this:

Excel Formula:
=MIN(D53:INDEX(D53:AG82,ALLWEEKS!G79,ALLWEEKS!G79))
If I could possibly ask you to take this one step further... I'm trying to incorporate this into some vba. Based on some reading it appears that I would need to use something like WorksheetFunction.Min to accomplish this. However, this has a tendency to confuse me.

To fill in some blanks that may be needed,
  1. the chart containing the players, etc is in a worksheet called CommonData
  2. As you already know, the place where the number of players are identified is on Allweeks:G79
Am I on the right track?

Upvote 0
Here's one way you could use the formula in VBA, for example:

VBA Code:
MsgBox Evaluate("MIN(CommonData!D53:INDEX(CommonData!D53:AG82,ALLWEEKS!G79,ALLWEEKS!G79))")

Upvote 0
Awesome... I believe this works well.

I have an area within my vba where I would like to place this code but I'm not certain who to make the changes necessary to make it work.

wsName2 = "CommonData"

With Sheets(wsName2)
'Note: I understand how to assign a single value to a variable within but I'm not sure how to assign a range of values within this logic.
' Example: A = .Range("z5").Value

'However, I'm not sure how to take the formula you provided (copied below) and convert it to work with this area.
' Min = Evaluate("MIN(CommonData!D53:INDEX(CommonData!D53:AG82,ALLWEEKS!G79,ALLWEEKS!G79))")

End With

If you could provide this final guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but you can try something like this:

VBA Code:
Sub AnExample()

Dim wsName2 As String
Dim NumPlayers As Long
Dim fxResult As Double 'change as appropiate

NumPlayers = Sheets("ALLWEEKS").Range("G79")

wsName2 = "CommonData"

With Sheets(wsName2)
    fxResult = Application.Min(.Range("D53").Resize(NumPlayers, NumPlayers))
End With

MsgBox fxResult

End Sub

p.s. A tip for the future, if you need a VBA solution then it's usually best to mention that from the outset

Upvote 0
My apologies and your comment has been duly noted. My initial problem was within the worksheet which is what my original question was based on. I evolved into a VBA solution since I've been examining placing as much code into VBA in order to speed up a very time-consuming process.

That being said, your proposed solution works great. In fact, both of your solutions worked just as I would have hoped. Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back