Is the sheet blocked?

Fahsid1230

Hi Folks,
I 'm doing a very simple summation that is:
$81,919
by using =sum(a1:a3)
but every time I hit enter, I get 0 instead of $306,083. Any security problem or unknown blocakge which I'm not aware off?
Any help will be appreciated.
thx

If your numbers "LOOK" like numbers then my suggestion posted above should convert them.

Suggestion 1. (convert by Text to Columns)
Select the range of text numbers,
Click Data | Text to Columns...
Then Click "Finish".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
To reiterate, the OP stated that =A1+A2+A3 still equals zero as well =ISNUMBER(A1) equals TRUE.

So, I think we can safely assume that the issue is not that the numbers are text.

I must admit though, I am stumped.

Upvote 0
Going back to basics for a second:

1. What is the format of the cells in Col A? Are they Currency $? Try changing to numbers.

2. What is the format of the cell where the sum is done? Again check it's currency or numbers.

3. Is each number on the right or left hand side of the cell (with cell formatting alignment set to general and bottom)?
If it's left, then it's in a text format, and if right it's a number format.

4. Try the suggestion in my previous suggest but make sure that you format Col B as numbers including the sum cell for Col B numbers.

5. You mention that your figures in col A are in fact calculation results.
I've been checking over a workbook for adding up hours and minutes, typically using the formula below (inserted into cell F3) to concatenate two numbers in cells D3 and E3 so as to read "number:number (e.g 0:56)"

Code:
=CONCATENATE(D3,":",E3)

In the case of the formula above, the concatenate command turns the result into text which meant I could not sum the results of all the figures in col F.
Therefore to convert them back to figures, I had to amend the above formula in F3 to:

Code:
=(CONCATENATE(D3,":",E3)+0)

Note how the +0 covers the whole formula using the brackets, and not simply a +0 tagged onto the end.

HTH and let us know how you get on.

Upvote 0
More suggestions.

My stupid for asking, but if you type (NOT copying) the numbers in a brand new workbook, correctly formatted as you want them and sum them, do they sum correctly (apologies for asking!)?

Going back to the worksheet you're working on, if you copy the numbers in col A to another column and try to sum, does that work?

Upvote 0
Guys, I think I have solved the mystry.
There was a table forum maker installed on my desktop. And somehow that table was interecting everytime I was hitting F9 to my sheet which has some data table functions.
I dont know how but it was interetcing with the exsisting sheet.
The moment I deleted that forum table maker (which I downloaded from the internet), everything start working normally.
But again, thank you everyone try to help me out in this quest.
God bless every one.
thnak you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back