Is there a way to unwrap a textbox so the data appears on one line and not several different lines

soupi

Board Regular
I am trying to bulk copy data off a excel sheet onto a sharepoint list. I do this by 100 rows at a time, but there are fields that have sevral lines in to cell, which crash my copy in paste into SharePoint.
What I usually do is click on the cell and click backspace so the data comes on to one line, but since there is a a lot of data, this way wont work.
I tried highlighting the cells and click un wrap but it seems that the text is still in separate lines..
Is there a way I can make the text into one line?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you

tinypic.com
[/URL][/IMG] This is how the data is, but I want it to be in one line like this below....
23kwvx2.png

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Select the cell (or column of cells if more than one cell needs processing), press CTRL+H to bring up Excel's Replace dialog box, type CTRL+J into the "Find what" field (it will look like nothing happened, but if you look closely, you should see a small blinking dot), type a single space character into the "Replace With" field, click the "Options>>" button and make sure the "Match entire cell contents" checkbox does not have a checkmark in it, then click the "Replace All" button. You may have to widen the column to see the effect because the "Wrap Text" option (Format Cells/Alignment tab) will still be set.

Upvote 0
Select the cell (or column of cells if more than one cell needs processing), press CTRL+H to bring up Excel's Replace dialog box, type CTRL+J into the "Find what" field (it will look like nothing happened, but if you look closely, you should see a small blinking dot), type a single space character into the "Replace With" field, click the "Options>>" button and make sure the "Match entire cell contents" checkbox does not have a checkmark in it, then click the "Replace All" button. You may have to widen the column to see the effect because the "Wrap Text" option (Format Cells/Alignment tab) will still be set.

Thank you Rick but it seems that I am getting an error when i click replace all...

4t8460.png
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
Anyone have an idea?
All I can tell you is that the procedure I posted worked for me when I tested it before posting it, so if it is not working for you, then there is something different about your text than what you have told us. I really do not know where to tell you to look.

Upvote 0
All I can tell you is that the procedure I posted worked for me when I tested it before posting it, so if it is not working for you, then there is something different about your text than what you have told us. I really do not know where to tell you to look.

so the procedure u posted should make those 2 lines side by side?

Upvote 0
so the procedure u posted should make those 2 lines side by side?
You might have to do one of two things to see it though. Because the cell's "Wrap Text" option was enabled (that is why you see the existing data on two lines), it remains set after the procedure I posted. So, if your column is too narrow to show the text on a single line, Excel wraps it (usually at the nearest space character toward the end of the cell's width), so if you widen the column sufficiently to show everything on one line, all the text will show on one line. The other way to force everything to one line is to turn word wrapping off for the cell. To do that, go into the Cell Formatting dialog box, click the Alignment tab and remove the checkmark from the "Wrap text" checkbox.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back