Is there an alternative to VSTACK formula I can use?

jvs411

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need to use a function that extracts out info using FILTER but across multiple different row ranges at once. However, I just found out my Excel version doesn't support VSTACK... so now I'm kinda at a loss.

I know there's alternatives like LET function but that one just looks way too complicated for me to understand.

The excel formula I'm using is basically this
=FILTER(C10:CW56,C10:CW10=2)

where C10:CW56 is the table array I'm searching through and C10:CW20 is the row array I'm matching to the criteria, 2.

But I want to stack this formula ontop more formulas searching more different table arrays below. So my VSTACK presumably should look something like this:

=VSTACK(
=FILTER(C10:CW56,C10:CW10=2),
=FILTER(C59:CW105,C59:CW59=2),
=FILTER(C108:CW154,C108:CW108=2),
=FILTER(C157:CW203,C157:CW157=2),

)

But without VSTACK, is there an alternative formula I can use?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Do you have any updates available for Office:

File / Account / Update Options

You may not be able to check if you are on a system at work, just thought i would ask.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm using a work computer so I doubt I can update...

Upvote 0
I don't know what your data looks like so below is a guess at a solution:
Book1
ABCDEFGH
2abcdbd
3abcdbd
4abcdbd
5abcdbd
6fh
7fh
81212fh
9efghfh
10efghjl
11efghjl
12efghjl
13jl
16ijkl
17ijkl
18ijkl
19ijkl
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G1:H1G1=FILTER(A1:D1,A1:D1=2)
G2:H13G2=FILTER(FILTER(A1:D19,NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A19))*(A1:A19<>"")),A1:D1=2)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Unfortunately that formula doesn't work in my case here. Sorry if I didn't give a better explanation earlier.

Basically my problem looks like this:
1696989227666.png

I'd like the formula to extract out the Wk2 tables only.
So the formula should be able produce this result:
1696988856679.png

Or this:
1696988884038.png

However, as you can see, the problem with my case is that the table arrays aren't all in the same 3 rows. I assume If I had VSTACK, I could easily just combine two FILTER formulas that searches through the table arrays B3:J5 and B7:J9 separately. Something like this?
VSTACK(
FILTER(B3:J5, B3:J3="Wk2")
FILTER(B7:J9, B7:J7="Wk2")
)

So is there a way to replicate this formula without VSTACK?

Upvote 0
The following UDF is what I have saved in my toolbox for allowing older versions of Excel to use the 'VSTACK' function:

VBA Code:
Function VSTACK(ParamArray ArrayAndNumber() As Variant) As Variant                                                      ' Excel 365
'
' =VSTACK(array1, [array2], ...)
'
' The first array or range to combine is mandatory.
' Additional arrays or ranges to combine are optional.
'
' Does not currently handle:
'   =VSTACK({"a","b"},AA2:AB2) = {"a","b";1,2}
'   =VSTACK({"a";"b"},AA2:AB2) = {"a",#N/A;"b",#N/A;1,2}
'
    Dim ArrayColumn         As Long, ArrayRow           As Long
    Dim ColumnIndex         As Long, ColIndex           As Long
    Dim TotalArrayColumns   As Long, TotalArrayRows     As Long
    Dim ResultArray         As Variant
'
    For ArrayRow = LBound(ArrayAndNumber) To UBound(ArrayAndNumber)                                                     ' Loop through the rows of ArrayAndNumber
        TotalArrayRows = TotalArrayRows + ArrayAndNumber(ArrayRow).rows.Count                                           '   Calculate TotalArrayRows
        TotalArrayColumns = Application.max(TotalArrayColumns, ArrayAndNumber(ArrayRow).columns.Count)                  '   Calculate TotalArrayColumns
    Next                                                                                                                ' Loop back
'
    ReDim ResultArray(1 To TotalArrayRows, 1 To TotalArrayColumns)                                                      ' Establish the row/column size of ResultArray
'
    ColumnIndex = 1                                                                                                     ' Initialize ColumnIndex
'
    For ArrayRow = LBound(ArrayAndNumber) To UBound(ArrayAndNumber)                                                     ' Loop through the rows of ArrayAndNumber
        For ArrayColumn = 1 To ArrayAndNumber(ArrayRow).rows.Count                                                      '   Loop
            For ColIndex = 1 To TotalArrayColumns                                                                       '       Loop through TotalArrayColumns
                ResultArray(ColumnIndex, ColIndex) = ArrayAndNumber(ArrayRow).Cells(ArrayColumn, ColIndex).value        '
            Next                                                                                                        '       Loop back
'
            ColumnIndex = ColumnIndex + 1                                                                               '       Increment ColumnIndex
        Next                                                                                                            '   Loop back
    Next                                                                                                                ' Loop back
'
    VSTACK = ResultArray                                                                                                '
End Function

It is not a complete replacement, but it is what I have come up with thus far.

Upvote 0
Okay, I've tried the custom formula after inserting it but this is what I got...
1697006992792.png

The formula gave a #VALUE! error instead.
However, I did verify the FILTER functions do work separately in Cell L2:
=FILTER(B3:J5, B3:J3="Wk2")
and Cell L6:
=FILTER(B7:J9, B7:J7="Wk2")

And I did a small test on the VSTACK function in Cell L11 and found it does work too: =VSTACK(G3:J5,B7:E9)

So is there something I'm still missing? Why doesn't this VSTACK formula work?
VSTACK(
FILTER(B3:J5, B3:J3="Wk2"),
FILTER(B7:J9, B7:J7="Wk2")
)

Attachments

• 1697006937786.png
    1697006937786.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The UDF works with ranges, not arrays.

Upvote 0
The UDF works with ranges, not arrays.

Oh, I guess I got to find a way to upgrade my Excel then...
Just to be clear, this limitation doesn't apply for the official VSTACK itself?

Upvote 0
No it doesn't. It's down to the way the UDF is coded.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back