Is there any way to manually group a Date Field in a Pivot table by uneven number of days?

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I would like to group a date field in a pivot table manually. So, i want to choose, say, May12-Jun05, Jun06-Jun17, Jun18-Jul03...etc. In other words, not "evenly". So, say i select a few dates, and then right click, and select "Group". But, the dialog that comes up is for grouping by a range "how many days to group by". So, it seems not to allow me to manually select each group individually by an uneven number of days. So, i am wondering if anybody knows if there is any way to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Tom

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Usually I would prefer real dates in the table that is the basis for the pivot table, and then you can group with calendar periods.
The other way round, if the dates are in fact strings, then this way of grouping is not possible, and you can group manually.

Upvote 0
sorry if i did not make this clear. these are "real" dates in the source column for the Pivot Table. In the Pivot Table, if i select a range of the dates and then "Group" a dialog comes up asking me how many days i want to group by. But, i do not want to group by an even number of days. One group might be 10 days, one group 3 days, one group 8 days, etc. I woudl expet that i could "manually" group each of those periods. But, the PivotTable will not let me do that. It wants to force me to pick a constant "number of days to group by". So, my question is, if its possible to manually pick each period.

Thanks!~

Upvote 0
No, it's not possible. I understood your request.
You could group them like "text items" but then the real dates should be text instead of dates.
Can you group them by adding a column to your data indicating 0 or 1, not grouped or grouped, and then use that field in the pivot ?
Or, use the TEXT function to format your dates as text and then you can group them the way you want.

Is this an ad hoc analysis or an analysis that should be done "always" and the periods do not change much ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back