Indentations for Pivot table Rows fields

Ludwig

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have 4 rows in my pivot table.

The primary one is Date, which Excel kindly provided 3 more - Years, Qtrs, and Months. I don't require Qtrs so I removed that from the "Rows" list. I added my own 4th field "Memo", leaving me as follows -
1710209727328.png

This has resulted in the following result (I collapsed the previous years manually before taking the screenshot) -
1710209879396.png

My problem is I want these 4 fields to indent in the pivot table. i.e. Month is in a few characters relative to Year, Date in further than Month, and lastly Memo indented a little further.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
You seem to be in Compact Layout mode and indentation you want is actually the default for that layout.
Under Design > Report Layout > Show in Compact Form
1710218403162.png

It looks like perhaps the column has been highlighted and a different setting (possibly general) has been applied to the whole column.
Since this will apply to all levels in the pivot I think it woul be faster to recreate the pivot.

If you did want to do it manually level by level try this:
• Hover over the top border of Jan until you get a thick black downward pointing arrow
• Then Click - this should select all the cells at that level ie all the months
• Hit Ctrl+1 to call up the format box
• Set horizontal to Left (Indent)
• in the Indent box to the right put in a 1.
You would need to do this to your memo field as well but it would indent by 2

1710218760015.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the helpful advice.

Strange it happened, as I was in the middle of creating it by dragging columns into the relevant places. Didn't 'change' anything in the "Format Cells" area, so not sure what happened to cause the settings to get changed.

I think I'll just recreate it.

Upvote 0
I don't require Qtrs
If you don't want quarters, the best way of getting rid of them is to click on any date (Year or Month) in the Pivot Table. Right Click > Group.
Then in the grouping dialogue box deselect the Quarters.

Upvote 0
If you don't want quarters, the best way of getting rid of them is to click on any date (Year or Month) in the Pivot Table. Right Click > Group.
Then in the grouping dialogue box deselect the Quarters.
I did it by un-ticking "Quarters (Date)" from the PivotTable Fields shown when "Field List" is clicked.

Upvote 0
That just takes it out of the Pivot, if you don't need it at all the Grouping method takes it out of the field list.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back